mapping tree locations

stihllearning

hi all. visited a new client today with loads of veteran trees in a piece of parkland open to the public, its a huge deadwooding project.but first things first i have to do a hazardous tree assesment, so all need to be numbered and mapped and was hoping that with species, number and gps reading someone could help me with mapping there location,i'm sure there's an autocad bolt on for the job but its something i know little about. any sugestions thanks

stihl

I've been working with a pda (hand held / palm top call it what you want!) that the maps get loaded on to. The gps then bluetooths the location to it on request and marks the spot, these are then checked against something known. The check is due to the gps accuracy being in the 10's of metres sometimes!.

I've also heard of people changing a setting on the autocad map, so that the co-ordinates on the map relate to the national / OS grid. This means that you can put in the GPS figures to mark a point.

Another option is a centrally located laser range finder, with a compass facitity. Known gps point for laser, then distance and direction for each tree.

All probably involve spending ££££!

Hope it helps

:wave:

treedave thanks for your reply and thank you for your sugestions.what i was realy hoping for was someone who makes these sort of maps regularly to be able to (with all the info provided by me)make one up for me at a cost . any one out there???

thanks

It’s a long story, but basically I use to do commercial 3d outsourcing for computer games in my spare time mostly on stuff I had never seen before in the USA like buildings etc were I would have photos of the facades of the building but not necessarily the scale (implied from standard 2m doors etc) or the ground plan, so I use to use high resolution satellite images as a tool for working out the true scale + ground plan from them, then later I moved onto terrains so got involved in DEM’s (3d terrain maps), I have also been using GPS for years as well as digital mapping for my logistics work as is away from the public road in remote places etc, as well as the usual parallel swathing & area worked etc. :)