Husqvarna won't start.

Shepherdess

The saw is new and should therefore not have anything too much wrong with it. It is possible all that has happened is that the saw has been pulled over too many times on choke and it is now flooded.

Two strokes should be pulled over until the engine coughs, the choke is then pushed in (Which leaves the saw in fast idle) and then after 1-3 pulls, it will start and run fast then blipping the throttle returns it to idle speed.

It is different to many four strokes in so much as they will run on almost full choke unlike most two strokes,

It may be worth popping the plug out and if it is wet, dry the plug, turn the saw upside down and pull it over hard a few times, expect droplets of fuel to be expelled and then leave the saw like this overnight and then replace the plug and try starting it by pulling the choke out and then push it back in, don't touch the throttle as it will knock off the fast idle you need to start the machine and then try to start it. If it won't go, try three pulls on choke  and then try to stat without choke.

The carbs these days have limiters, they are there to get some adjustment and most modern saws will run with the screws in any adjustment but the saw may not run as well as it should.

BTW....I often act the idiot but it doesn't mean I am one;)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, spudulike said:

The saw is new and should therefore not have anything too much wrong with it. It is possible all that has happened is that the saw has been pulled over too many times on choke and it is now flooded.

Two strokes should be pulled over until the engine coughs, the choke is then pushed in (Which leaves the saw in fast idle) and then after 1-3 pulls, it will start and run fast then blipping the throttle returns it to idle speed.

It is different to many four strokes in so much as they will run on almost full choke unlike most two strokes,

It may be worth popping the plug out and if it is wet, dry the plug, turn the saw upside down and pull it over hard a few times, expect droplets of fuel to be expelled and then leave the saw like this overnight and then replace the plug and try starting it by pulling the choke out and then push it back in, don't touch the throttle as it will knock off the fast idle you need to start the machine and then try to start it. If it won't go, try three pulls on choke  and then try to stat without choke.

The carbs these days have limiters, they are there to get some adjustment and most modern saws will run with the screws in any adjustment but the saw may not run as well as it should.

BTW....I often act the idiot but it doesn't mean I am one;)

I can assure you, all that has been tried but thanks. 

16 hours ago, Shepherdess said:

I can assure you, all that has been tried but thanks. 

I don't doubt its all been tried.  What is surprising and a little disappointing is the lack of detail.

For instance,  if the muffler was removed (as suggested) its the work of a few minutes to upload a picture. Ye'know cant even be bothered to confirm if the spark plug was soggy wet or bone dry ?

But anyway no point wasting breathe.  Bye  ? .

That's life, most people don't have a clue and don't recognize the fault diagnosis progressions. I would say new saws would very rarely stop and not work within the first or second use. I reckon it was probably flooded as it is the most likely issue that may occur through over use of the choke but never mind, keep smiling!

Aye, all true.

How long to diagnose? I'd guess at under 5 minutes for this one.   

Chap who did my MOT's insisted on driving car into the test station,  said he could tell in the space of 25 meters whether he had to spend time on a car. And before that he had a good feel just from sauntering up to the car, critical eye plus experience....

2 hours ago, spudulike said:

That's life, most people don't have a clue and don't recognize the fault diagnosis progressions. I would say new saws would very rarely stop and not work within the first or second use. I reckon it was probably flooded as it is the most likely issue that may occur through over use of the choke but never mind, keep smiling!

My husband is not clueless about power saws (although he is regarding computers!). I apologise for not posting pictures of every move he made and reporting every action but all suggestions were tried without any success. As I stated earlier, he has been working with machines and engines all his life and is very practical and capable. Usually he can resolve problems without looking for help but asked it there was any way I could find any suggestions by looking on line. It would appear that there is a fault with the saw rather than user error (and no, it was not just flooded as was suggested by more than one person)   The saw is being collected tomorrow and being returned to the seller.

• Like 1

On 02/06/2020 at 19:33, Shepherdess said:

Thanks to all who replied to this post. Despite trying all suggestions my husband failed to get it started so arrangements are being made to return the chainsaw to the seller. 

Please come and update the thread with the eventual outcome we'd all be interested to hear, plus it might help some other unfortunate with a new non starting saw in future!

• Like 3

I wasn't saying your husband was clueless - I don't know him, many arborists can't even adjust their idle speed and that is the point I was making.

As the saw is new, it should go back to the supplier as mentioned by a few on here and as DS says, let us know the outcome although most manufacturers are a bit guarded on such things so probably we will never know.

Hope it works out.