Stihl and Rotatec 3/8" pitch - different file sizes

arboriculturist

We use Stihl chains 3/8 on the Stihl 661 and Rotatec 3/8 chains on other saws. Up until now I have always used Oregon 5.2mm files and very occasional Stihl files (which are a little fine) when stock out of Oregon.

Well when I bought the Rotatec 3/8 chains they said to buy 5.5mm Rotatec files as they were far less than Oregon files and just as good. They said 5.2mm files were too small for Rotatec. I always thought 5.5mm were for .404 chains.

So I bought a box and tried them on a not too dull Rotatec chain. What a waste of time, they hardly looked at the cutters on the Rotatec chain. Quickly tried an Oregon 5.2mm file just to try and the difference was like chalk and cheese!

Maybe the RT has insanely hard case hardening, but the Oregon performed with no issues.

So am I correct in saying 5.5mm for 3/8 Rotatec chains and have others found Rotatec files to be absolute rubbish on Rotatec chain? Perhaps they are great on Oregon or Stihl chain?

Any replies appreciated.

My experience with rot-tech chains was similar.

i actually found the files good but the first time sharpening one of their chains took forever, as you described.

it gets easier the second time but there’s always a few teeth that are a nightmare to file.

the cost savings over proper chains is well lost in the extra time spent trying to sharpen them.

my biggest issue with them was teeth  top plates breaking off and that was only on small to medium saws, I would not risk using them on big saws.

a dodgy chain is a safety issue, better buy quality .

theres good value proper chains available  from several advertisers on this forum .

• Like 3

I believe 5.5 is the traditional size for 3/8 and still is recommended for Oregon and Husqvarna chains. Stihl dropped their size down to 5.2.

So they're both right in a way. You can open the 'drop a file size for the last part' debate if you like, I think this is related.

As above I tried Rotatech and gave up, no point having good saws and crap chain.

42 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

I believe 5.5 is the traditional size for 3/8 and still is recommended for Oregon and Husqvarna chains. Stihl dropped their size down to 5.2.

So they're both right in a way. You can open the 'drop a file size for the last part' debate if you like, I think this is related.

As above I tried Rotatech and gave up, no point having good saws and crap chain.

Got one of there "Genuine" rotatech kits 325 for my small husky rim sprocket is faulty found chain rises out/don't sit in on one of the slots properly! "Genuine" lol Genuine poop! Only reason i got it was no others parts available atmo wanted drum/bearing and rim.

I had similar. The rotatech chains are great, I don't buy anything else, but the files wear too quickly. 

It doesn't help that the chains are very hard but my husqvarna files are fine with them so that shouldn't be an excuse.

I have a theory that Rotatech spent a lot of time developing the chains and got them right then pushed the other products out to make sure they had the full range.

I prefer supporting smaller companies so hopefully they improve but for now I stick with the chains.

Edited by gdh

Rotatech chains are ok but they are not in the same class as Stihl n Oregon yet ? when in a forestry enviroment we only use either stihl or oregon chains as they hold there edge better, the rotatech chains we have are used for the bit of domestic arb we do and for cutting firewood up in the yard, and as for the files only use stihl 5,2mm on all the 3/8ths chains, i have bought other makes of files and just found them to be crap, but its like everything else in life you get what you pay for, pay little and it will either, not last long or it wont be up to the job,

• Like 1