Oak and iron Bench

TIMON

IMG_4507.jpgIMG_4500.jpgIMG_4505.jpg

Legs came off an old garden bench. The 2” plank came off the top of the stack so could have probably used a bit of weight on it to keep it straighter. Well happy with it, much nicer than the original.

• Like 8

Hi Timon ,hows things ,nice bench is it all your work did you Mill the boards and what does the brass plaque say 

Hi Mark, doing well all things considered thanks mate.
Yes a mate and I milled the boards from a dead oak that I dismantled, then felled for a BBC ‘songs of praise’ programme. (Funny enough the re-run was shown earlier today) not all my own work, it was a joint effort. Nice to be able to benefit from a tree I cut down and see it live on. Bit of sanding with 40 & 80 grit then finished with a coat of yacht varnish and some hammerite on the frame after the old paint was stripped off.
The plaque came off the original bench and says. “Be still and know that I am God” psalm 46.10
Really love that table you posted recently.

Got some big lumps of oak to mill soon here. 021A0AD7-4C75-4436-8741-030D63DD9CC9.jpg

Hi mate were you on telly then !but yacht varnish ! I hate varnish,I think a good quality oil is much better ,you will defo have some nice big boards when you Mill that oak,yep biggest table we have made so far and it’s in the barn I have been restoring on the small Est I look after glad you liked it .

Thanks mate take care stay safe

• Like 1