Website Content

IronMike

So, I bet Steve is going to read this and weep!

Im in the process of attempting write some content for my website that Steve is going to sort for me. However, I’m sat looking at my laptop which has been on my knees for about 45 mins and I have managed to type 170 words, of which I think 165 are waffle/bollocks. 

I am terrible at this kind of thing! Any top tips out there an where to even make a start? I am not after anything flashy or jargon loaded nonsense. But I honestly do not know where to start. It needs to really just be a bit about me, what I do and where I work. Easy said, but flipping hard to do!

My mind is blank! ?

If you are not used to writing, or just out of practice, it can be difficult to 'get in the groove.'

As someone who writes a lot (often more than 20,000 words a week) my advice would be to start by putting something down, even if you think it is gibberish, and then sleep on it.  It is far simpler to rewrite or edit something than sit staring at a blank screen.  The fact that you have written c. 170 words and most of them are bollocks at least means that some of them are not!

It can also help if you try and plan a framework of what you are wanting to say - even if it is just bullet points or subject headings that you can go back to and expand at a later time.

Similarly, don't be afraid of asking your significant other (if you have one) to take a look and give you their opinion - be prepared for some brutal feedback though!

• Like 1

Funnily enough, I’ve just closed the laptop down and done just what you said. 

my other half is a teacher, but knows absolutely nothing! So I’ll run it past her once I’ve got some more down.

Im better at felling trees then picking them up, rather than typing stuff. I’m sure that’s obvious! ?

I wouldn't stress too much Mike, I can do a lot with 170 words.

What Waterbouy said above about bullet points is spot on, in fact send as many bullet points over as you like.

For example

• who you are
  • whats your experience
  • where have you worked
  • why do you do what you do
  • who uses your niche services and why
  • what areas do you cover
  • what qualifications
  • what insurance
  • goals

• Like 1

Also doesn't hurt to check out other websites that are relevant, see what content they have to give you ideas as to what to write, structure and where to go with it. 

You'll find most will follow the same format/template with very similar wording. Just dressed differently. 

4 hours ago, SPRVKG said:

Also doesn't hurt to check out other websites that are relevant, see what content they have to give you ideas as to what to write, structure and where to go with it. 

You'll find most will follow the same format/template with very similar wording. Just dressed differently. 

Mike as steve and myself mentioned keep it basic. I have recently done a website in just a few hours. Do it like this for steve to work with.

1) Your personal details.

Example 

Name - mike williams 

Born - 28/08/1931

qualifications 

ect 

2) Website details 

Name of website example ( RICHMOND TREE REMOVALS)

Services offered 

Areas covered

Your experience (EST 30 YEARS) Always looks good

3) Any photos you have add as many as possible so steve can work with more choice

Just sections like above and you will slowly build up the content required. Hope it helps les

Edited by topchippyles