UK to NZ qualifications

DLawn

Hi all, 

Has anyone made the leap from the UK to NZ? I've been told and read time and time again that your qualifications don't really matter once your out there, employers just want someone that can get the job done. But for the sake of a skilled migrant visa they want to know what my Level 3 NPTC qualifications are equivalent to? Anyone been through this process that can help a guy out? Research isn't really telling me anything but getting the quals transferred with the NZQA costs £300/$600!

Edited by DLawn

10 hours ago, dumper said:

Daughter and son in law moved out to north island tried for a while then got sponsored by nz company was plain sailing then 

At any other time that'd be my strategy as well! But understandably NZ has upped it's entry criteria and narrowed down the pool of visa applications it's considering these days. So unless you're someone who already has a job offer your application's not getting looked at for the moment.

• 2 months later...
On 30/05/2020 at 21:18, DLawn said:

Hi all, 

Has anyone made the leap from the UK to NZ? I've been told and read time and time again that your qualifications don't really matter once your out there, employers just want someone that can get the job done. But for the sake of a skilled migrant visa they want to know what my Level 3 NPTC qualifications are equivalent to? Anyone been through this process that can help a guy out? Research isn't really telling me anything but getting the quals transferred with the NZQA costs £300/$600!

My impression of NZ is that their practical skills are contained within NZ academic 'arb' qualifications and when they come to work in the UK they have to do the NPTCs etc. to make them employable within the UK / HSE system. 

Hence, n really sorry about this, but with the absence of a supporting UK academic qualification you might find your NPTCs are of minimal value and don't have an equivalent for visa etc. purposes but I'm sure NZ employers would value / recognise UK NPTCs...but not sure that really helps.

Hopefully someone who can be more help will come along very soon.

Good luck with everything.

Cheers

Paul

Given that the NZ Arb Assoc is affiliated to the ISA, and offers assessment for the ISA's certifications, you might consider taking the Certified Tree Worker or Certified Arborist certifications. AA Teccie Paul will probably be able to point you in the direction of someone that can assist with these, as I believe that UKAA is also an affiliate organisation.  This route would give you a qual that is already recognised in NZ. 

9 hours ago, Stuart Phillips said:

Given that the NZ Arb Assoc is affiliated to the ISA, and offers assessment for the ISA's certifications, you might consider taking the Certified Tree Worker or Certified Arborist certifications. AA Teccie Paul will probably be able to point you in the direction of someone that can assist with these, as I believe that UKAA is also an affiliate organisation.  This route would give you a qual that is already recognised in NZ. 

Hi Stuart, we are currently working with Treelife to make the ISA CA course an e-learning opportunity so "watch this space."

In terms of its value/recognition in NZ, whilst I'm sure it will aid 'employability' I'm not sure of its value, if at all, for obtaining a Visa as it's not a formal qualification (its a certification) and hence wouldn't be registered on their qualifications database and wouldn't get points for it.

To the OP - this is my understanding of the situation but please enquire with NZ Visa office to clarify.

Regards

Paul