Debt collection in the current climate .

steve@black

Bloody hate money outstanding, had a few close calls but got all sorted by being a bit pushy and put it down to slow customers. Lack of answering the phone and emails are a strong sign that things are not going the right way.

Turning up for a face to face may make a difference otherwise, small claims court etc!

Perhaps we should start a non payment section on this forum!

• Like 3

Did a job back in February which 60 days was  agreed for payment even though on previous jobs payment was always received within 3 days after invoice. 

On the 60th day I sent an email reminding of payment to the response of I will pass the bill onto the account department. 

20 days later with some more emails I got into an queue for the bank on my lunch break to pay in the cheque. 

I'm happy to do 30, 60, 90 payment terms but always add additional money onto the job for the time spent getting the money. 

Found Glendales to be the worst for payment. 

• Like 3

I had a big building firm take over a year to pay me for a mulching job (the only job we had/have ever done for them). The job itself was a couple of grand and involved transport and nights away, so I’d stumped up quite a bit of money just to do the work. 
I had chased numerous times on the phone and by email and was constantly fobbed off, and think they only ended up paying as it must have been about to roll into a different financial year (this was before I knew about Thomas Higgins, so hadn’t used their ‘muscle’).

Anyway, money eventually received, mental note never to work for them again, no harm done.

12 months later I received a payment of nearly £800 from the same construction firm, followed soon-after by a request for me to send it back as it had been paid in error. (Our invoices state that interest will be charged at 10% per month on overdue payments, but the reality is that this is generally unenforceable if not agreed at quotation stage). I ignored the construction firm for a few months (as they had done me), and took great delight in eventually informing the construction director that I wouldn’t be returning their money and as far as I was concerned they still owed me further interest on their previous overdue account. He called me a thief - I don’t agree. Small (lucky) win for the little guy for once IMO!

• Like 13
  • Haha 4

I get fucked off with the commercial side, 3 firms owe me money now, not vast amounts the largest is 4K but it’s for wrk done in March! Then one phoned last week to see what discount I can give on a quote I did in April, nothing I said as I’m happy to loose it.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

47 minutes ago, Toxteth O,Grady said:

It is getting boring chasing debts. Mainly commercial customers which each year takes a lot of time .  Thomas Higgings will be getting a call this week unless something is sorted . 

Just do it.Big firms with bad credit marks against can have big problems requiring credit them selves then. I have found the best payer of all are the big house builders like barret and persimmon 

Edited by topchippyles