Logosol Wood Drying unit.

trigger_andy

Nice looking set up I think? Perfect for someone who does this for a Hobby like myself. 

Id assume you could market Kiln Dried Slabs more easily too? 

WWW.LOGOSOL.CO.UK

<p>Logosol’s drying chamber is a smart solution with an insulated inner tent and a protective outer tent that are...

• Like 1

On 30/05/2020 at 08:33, Rough Hewn said:

Yeah looks tasty.
I'm talking with Logosol on Monday emoji16.pngemoji106.pngemoji106.pngemoji106.png

I've got one, had one for years.

You still have to air dry high tannin timbers such as OAk and Sweet Chestnut for about 6 months before kiln otherwise the tannin will corrode the insides of the kit.

Built an insulated box using OSB as insulation on it's own is not strong enough for constant use.

• Like 1

Just now, Forest2Furniture said:

I've got one, had one for years.

You still have to air dry high tannin timbers such as OAk and Sweet Chestnut for about 6 months before kiln otherwise the tannin will corrode the insides of the kit.

Built an insulated box using OSB as insulation on it's own is not strong enough for constant use.

Cool, so you get good results with it?

I like this kit as its the whole package including Logosols freshly designed insulated box for drying in. 

• Like 1

Hi Andy, I have had this set up for about 12 years now. Its actually made by a company called Sauno who are also Swedish. Logosol are just getting it badged for themselves unless they have bought Sauno out..

My original box was made with the insulation panels and lasted a few months. My current one has been on the go for 10 years and started as a big frame of doug fir. I then covered the inside with 6mm plywood, used 50mm thick insulation board in the gaps and then sterling osb on top. All the insides are fibre glassed inc the internal roof. That job took about 2 weeks to do, with the workshop doors open. I can dry planks up to 2.4m long by 1m wide. I think my internal dimension go right up to the recommended capacity for the smaller unit. Last year I drilled a 110mm dia hole in the workshop walls for the vent. That was long overdue as there is obviously a lot of condensation coming out 24/7. The door I built up in a big frame and must be 200 thick. It is more or less jammed in the aperture and I stuff bubble wrap down in the gaps with a flat steel ruler if I see any leaks. It isnt necessarily pretty but it works. I dont have any secure outdoor starage area at the workshop so all timber goes straight into the kiln from the van. Fot timbers such as oak I cut off the sapwood as thats where most of the tannin is. I have only changed the fan system once, last year, so it takes a little time to rot it out. I have just remembered that the insulation was from a company down in England somewhere who sell second hand, over runs etc insulation. Its far cheaper buying it this way than brand new. I cant see me using this kiln much beyond the end of this year. All my milling is by alaskan mill and as I get older, it gets a lot harder. My logging buddy isnt available much and I am on my own for lifting and shifting and as I have been milling for 20 years now, I reckon its time to slow down a bit. I have also changed my main product which was laser engraved wooden coasters to laser engraved leather coasters, which are 100 times quicker and easier to make. Andy, I am only in Glenrothes so if you fancy a trip down one day give me a shout.

IMG_20140811_203032.jpg

IMG_20140811_203044.jpg

IMG_20140817_162741.jpg

IMG_20140817_162755.jpg

• Like 2

Just now, Mike Dempsey said:

Hi Andy, I have had this set up for about 12 years now. Its actually made by a company called Sauno who are also Swedish. Logosol are just getting it badged for themselves unless they have bought Sauno out..

My original box was made with the insulation panels and lasted a few months. My current one has been on the go for 10 years and started as a big frame of doug fir. I then covered the inside with 6mm plywood, used 50mm thick insulation board in the gaps and then sterling osb on top. All the insides are fibre glassed inc the internal roof. That job took about 2 weeks to do, with the workshop doors open. I can dry planks up to 2.4m long by 1m wide. I think my internal dimension go right up to the recommended capacity for the smaller unit. Last year I drilled a 110mm dia hole in the workshop walls for the vent. That was long overdue as there is obviously a lot of condensation coming out 24/7. The door I built up in a big frame and must be 200 thick. It is more or less jammed in the aperture and I stuff bubble wrap down in the gaps with a flat steel ruler if I see any leaks. It isnt necessarily pretty but it works. I dont have any secure outdoor starage area at the workshop so all timber goes straight into the kiln from the van. Fot timbers such as oak I cut off the sapwood as thats where most of the tannin is. I have only changed the fan system once, last year, so it takes a little time to rot it out. I have just remembered that the insulation was from a company down in England somewhere who sell second hand, over runs etc insulation. Its far cheaper buying it this way than brand new. I cant see me using this kiln much beyond the end of this year. All my milling is by alaskan mill and as I get older, it gets a lot harder. My logging buddy isnt available much and I am on my own for lifting and shifting and as I have been milling for 20 years now, I reckon its time to slow down a bit. I have also changed my main product which was laser engraved wooden coasters to laser engraved leather coasters, which are 100 times quicker and easier to make. Andy, I am only in Glenrothes so if you fancy a trip down one day give me a shout.

IMG_20140811_203032.jpg

IMG_20140811_203044.jpg

IMG_20140817_162741.jpg

IMG_20140817_162755.jpg

Hey Mike,

thats very cool, thanks for posting the pictures up! A lot of work and effort had gone into building that box, a testtiment to how well it was constructed considering its still going 10 years later!

I think Id buy Logosols new box, its light weight at around 50kg and insulated as well. Looks to be just over £1000 and is built in a day. Easy to move between two people as well. 

Interesting about Logosol rebranding the Sauno, they do the same with a bunch of tools, the grindlux Band sharpener comes to mind. I think they re-brand their edger as well? 

The door is well over engineered and weighs about 100 kilos. Takes me a little time to get it shut properly. Dont know yet how I am going to get rid off it in a year or 2 when I finish up milling. Probably need to use a chainsaw to cut it up and take to the tip!