Where to cut this oak to minimise stress on what remains

SbTVF

Question

Farmers/Firewood merchant more than homeowners question here but... Big old 5 stemmed (possibly coppiced a long long time ago) oak and 2 of the stems are leaning heavily over a field edge so far that we haven't had a tractor under for years.

We'd like access but don't want to damage the tree if it can be helped as the remaining 3 stems are easily over 20" dbh and looking very healthy.

Pictures attached, where is the best place to cut please? In the second picture one stem is directly behind the other. 324be4d4eae1a225fc954a0f93ab8f64.jpgaa65d4557fa10552dd84c79950895d24.jpg

1 hour ago, Wonky said:

Sorry but  op says they are able,,and asks where..? Only pics of base and size

something is missing here I can see it ending in tears.?.  ?

....... Yup ? so we will look forward to seeing future news  ?  K

Sorry but  op says they are able,,and asks where..? Only pics of base and size

something is missing here I can see it ending in tears.[emoji848].  [emoji85]. 
Only thing missing is the benefit of the doubt [emoji6]

Just looking for more experienced educated opinions on the how, why and when. Doing the actual how is the easy part.

@SbTVF  only thing i will add and its my first words when training guys in tree felling amd i always say it "  once you start yr chainsaw you are completely responsible for what happens next"    its quite clear from then on.  Of course the next words are usually " yr fucking chains blunt - go sharpen it"  K

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Only thing missing is the benefit of the doubt [emoji6]

Just looking for more experienced educated opinions on the how, why and when. Doing the actual how is the easy part.

Basically you can butcher the oak to the ground in winter and it'll be fine.
If the sap is flowing though you might get problems in the future.
However if you can't wait,
Just make sure you leave a tidy cut on the stumps preferably at an angle away from the main trunk.
[emoji106]
  • Like 1

Sorry about what I said, it was just,…………my thinking?

your right always good for lots of different options/opinions.

mine would be,, not that I can see all the tree., only cut what you have to now so you fence don’t ruined in the meantime ,  and try to cut up as high as you can leave to be able to safely finish off in the winter. in the winter, tie the rest of the stem that’s leaning over the fence to the other tree that you are keeping and cut it so you can swing/pull it away from the fence and lower it. Then tidy up near the base

it would be easy if you have the equipment ie a few ropes and get a high-ish purchase in the tree your  using to lower it / swing it.. from 

but having said this I would probably change my mind if I was looking at it ??

Edited by Wonky
Change
  • Like 1

It's hard to tell from the photos if there is a risk of unbalancing the whole thing by cutting off all the weight from one side. I guess it would be a more precautionary approach to remove one stem, leave it a few years, then take another.

I wonder what the long term future is for a three stemmed oak anyway? Will the stems grow into each other and split it apart?

I was wondering if you look at that as a coppice tree that needs harvesting every 50 years then now is your turn. Just make sure to build a good cage around so that the regrowth isn't eaten off by deer or rabbits and then there will be a similar multi stemmed oak for someone else to harvest in 50 years time.

This should definitely be done in the winter if you decide to do it.

• Like 1

It's hard to tell from the photos if there is a risk of unbalancing the whole thing by cutting off all the weight from one side. I guess it would be a more precautionary approach to remove one stem, leave it a few years, then take another.

I wonder what the long term future is for a three stemmed oak anyway? Will the stems grow into each other and split it apart?

I was wondering if you look at that as a coppice tree that needs harvesting every 50 years then now is your turn. Just make sure to build a good cage around so that the regrowth isn't eaten off by deer or rabbits and then there will be a similar multi stemmed oak for someone else to harvest in 50 years time.

This should definitely be done in the winter if you decide to do it.
I think that's quite a good idea actually. The rest of the wood has a lot of old coppice stumps, apparently the old (must be 80 now) agri engineer in the village coppiced the whole wood as his first job out of school for the farmer that used to own it.

I'll get some better photos tomorrow. Might help with a better view.

It would make some beautiful milling wood given the size and straightness off the other 3 stems.

28 minutes ago, SbTVF said:

I think that's quite a good idea actually. The rest of the wood has a lot of old coppice stumps, apparently the old (must be 80 now) agri engineer in the village coppiced the whole wood as his first job out of school for the farmer that used to own it.

I'll get some better photos tomorrow. Might help with a better view.

It would make some beautiful milling wood given the size and straightness off the other 

What happened to just chopping it down in the right place ?

edit ...and do dot dot... ?

Edited by Wonky

11 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

maybe the stems will talk to each other by way of the hormones and work out a way to live together

seven_sisters_study1.thumb.jpg.9a687976e9e371e16a42babe06890305.jpg

Edited by tree-fancier123
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, SbTVF said:

It would make some beautiful milling wood given the size and straightness off the other 3 stems.

Rural or character grade perhaps. Look at the epicormic shoots. It's woodland edge.

Compare prices of oak posts from your local sawmill/supplier.

Milling may well be better than firewood