Recommendations for flail or scythe

flanagaj

I do a lot of mountain biking and every summer I watch my local trails becoming very overgrown.  The council do eventually cut them (around September) and I've been at logger heads with them as to why road side verges get cut 7 times during summer.

I digress.  I have subsequently learnt that under common law I am permitted to clear them myself and am therefore looking to purchase a flail mower or scythe machine.  Something like a BCS Trackmaster.

I have used a flail mower with the council when I used to volunteer, but they are pricey and I was wondering whether a scythe might be a better option.

Thanks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flanagaj said:

I was wondering whether a scythe might be a better option.

Other users may object (H&S). Youtube scything. Keep the action in your shoulders/upper torso not lower back and it's OK. Gradient of verges might hamper progress

34 minutes ago, Sutton said:

Other users may object (H&S). Youtube scything. Keep the action in your shoulders/upper torso not lower back and it's OK. Gradient of verges might hamper progress

Blimey.  I'm too old for a manual scythe!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, kkk2 said:

Id check about public liability insurance as we cannot do any works on council ground without this.

Thanks.  I'd make sure I have this too and also put signs out informing the public cutting was being in progress.

Annoyingly, the council only allow you to volunteer Mon - Fri and that doesn't work for me.  Hence why I'm looking to source some equipment so I can do it at weekends or early evening.

Perhaps you've a mate who can help?

I say that as I was a long-time machine operator.

When you're in the rhythm zone, you don't always see what's come down the track or coming up from behind?

I say that as a stupid member of the public who mean't understand community spirit ...

Just now, Sutton said:

Perhaps you've a mate who can help?

I say that as I was a long-time machine operator.

When you're in the rhythm zone, you don't always see what's come down the track or coming up from behind?

I say that as a stupid member of the public who mean't understand community spirit ...

My plan was to try and recruit a number of local cyclists in the area to help, but so many just seem apathetic.  The council have told me that bridleways are pretty much bottom of the list.

The local footpath volunteer group has a BGS flail i think, and use chainsaws and strimmers etc not sure how insurance works.

Hardly any bridle paths round here though and majority of footpaths say around 75% of them are completely overgrowth and not useable.

Not gone on any footpaths since covid lockdown & the only thing that was keeping many them open I reckon is regular use.  I carried a pocket silky, and loppers sometimes to hack through encroaching scrub and head height brambles.

Edited by Stere