Client invoicing

Jack.P

Intresting one today .

had just finished days work trimming up some nasty laurels and Lelandi 

Customer then insists the invoice is made out to a nearby rental house which I was a bit unsure about agreeing to as never worked there .anyway decided to drive past the other house on the way back ,

Turns out there not even hedges of any kind in there rental house .stupid feckers

the work undertaken was for there private garden and not a business of any kind  .

Always the wealthy which will try it on .

• Like 2

It is quite normal.. Often get business owners asking to do a job at their home and wanting to put it through the business.  I refuse to actively be part of their fraud. I will omit an address and invoice a business, but I would not put works at an address where I had not worked.. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Jack.P said:

Intresting one today .

had just finished days work trimming up some nasty laurels and Lelandi 

Customer then insists the invoice is made out to a nearby rental house which I was a bit unsure about agreeing to as never worked there .anyway decided to drive past the other house on the way back ,

Turns out there not even hedges of any kind in there rental house .stupid feckers

the work undertaken was for there private garden and not a business of any kind  .

Always the wealthy which will try it on .

No trees or bushes there because you felled them, as it says on the invoice. 

• Like 1

The problem is that the customer claims the costs of the work against incomes for the rental property - so saves on paying tax on the net profits from the rental property.

It is tax evasion and by taking part as a supplier is knowingly helping them commit an illegal act.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

What is the problem ?? Got paid for the job ok and does not matter which address. 

In my view it does matter. In the extremely unlikely event of thorough HMRC audit you could be asked to prove that you really did do work at the address quoted on the invoice. I like to sleep well.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, benedmonds said:

It is quite normal.. Often get business owners asking to do a job at their home and wanting to put it through the business.  I refuse to actively be part of their fraud. I will omit an address and invoice a business, but I would not put works at an address where I had not worked.. 

That is exactly my position. Fine if they want to claim it as a business expense and risk getting rapped knuckles, but I will only go as far as to invoice the business for them, without specifying the address, or better still specifying there home address. One of my regular subbies was asked by a wealthy businessman to do an invoice for a business address in Liverpool for work of a type he never does, when the real job was tree pruning in Staffordshire. Nearly always the same, while the frail elderly widow wants to pay you before you have finished the job.

Just now, topchippyles said:

So you declare every penny you earn then (think not) Someone offer you cash or cheque and you say cheque and pay tax on it ?

He (maybelateron) is ex NHS, so I expect he has a certain moral standing on this, after all his wages came out of taxpayer money. I have commited fraud many a time and I know full well I will burn in hell.

• Haha 1