Another boot topic..... ??‍♂️

IronMike

Use Treehog. Comfy from Day 1, thick rubber over toe cap so probly better fr machine operators an fabric cuff so not too achey on yr calf, getting up n down all day. Not dear neither. Leather good an last more than a year. K

• Like 1

I’ve ended up wearing these

ARBORTEC.COM

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION Features: EN ISO 17249 Class 3 (28m/s) Chainsaw protection EN ISO 20345 Handcrafted boot Fully waterproof Steel Toecap Puncture resistant midsole Vibram® sole The Profell is a durable boot designed for foresters and arborist alike. To ensure the best level of protection the Profell is certified to C
after trashing my ankle last year, they have been great for recovery as they are the highest boots with the most support, I originally brought them when we where winching Douglas fir wind blow off an impossible site but they just never clicked at that point as I found lower cut lighter boots with caulks a better option in the extreme heat of summer I could not bring my self to wear thicker socks to break them in... I guess that is the problem with all work boots though! Saying that the pfanner pilatus where comfy straight out the box, especially for my corns ... I just need high boots or my ankle aches a lot more.
Would be interested to hear anyone’s feed back on lavero boots??

Brought the fell hunters a few years back when we where winching big Douglas wind blow of a hill site and needed a bit of support but unfortunately due to it being summer I could not bring myself to wear the socks to break them in! Then last year when I broke my ankle I found the extra height and support has been great, I could not of worked with out them ... until then though I was on pfanner pilatus ,which where great for my aching feet and corns! I would be wearing them now if they had more ankle support but that was why I did like them as they where nice and manoeuvrable boots for climbing and walking before my incident.

Treehog stuff looks terrible and I'm shallow enough to care what they look like. Cant imagine they'd be any good really either.

I've had lots of pairs of Meindls which fell to bits. Not a fan at all of Arbortec stuff as had a few pairs in the past. 

Pfanner Zermatt and Matterhorn or rock climbing boots if pruning seem to work the  best for me

Cutting boots tend to be harder/stiffer leather than u often see in top end high ankle/calf length hunting boots.

But 1 thing I'm never sure of is any link between boot height and support.

Most expensive hunting boots are high but very soft leather.

Yet proper walking boots tend to be normal ankle height, but stiff leather.

I do a bit on grouse with mutts, most grouse keepers have the normal high hunting boot wether mendl, altberg, doditto, etc.

But some of the Highland moors I've been on, on the highest steepest ground where u expect they'd need extra support go back to normal walking boots.

I do like a higher boot but more to avoid going over the top.

I must admit, the Treehog boots do absolutely nothing for me. I’m aware that might be daft, as they might be perfect, but I’d weep every time I looked down at them! ?

I appreciate the recommendations though folks. Bit of a mystery for now then, I’ll carry on for a while and see if I can get up to Gustharts when it opens again.

I've had two pairs of the Alpin Pros and a good boot very hard wearing and the "griper" in the insole more handy than you would think. 

On wear and tear on your feet are you using good socks ? I have had some fairly nasty bruising to my feet over the last couple of years , not all the time but during skyline work and could not understand it  - good boots not worn out ? My feet looked like I had been sat down by the Kray twins and set about with a hammer ! It was suggested that I start using Smartwool socks and that seems to have done the trick.