Another bargain?!

djbobbins

I always ponder on these adverts.... Does the seller give up and end up taking them to the recycling centre or what? Surely they don't find a mug to buy them?  Surely no one they has the kit would pay, and no one without the kit would think of tackling it with a hand saw would they?  I fear though that there are more less intelligent people than I give credit for.

To be fair, in the past I have paid for softwood arisings then dawn and split them myself. However, the wood I bought was all much more manageable (biggest diameter about 12”, most of it more like 6-8”), cut into lengths that were liftable by hand on my own.

And critically, three piled-high MPV loads, which did us a winter’s worth of logs for our stove, for £23.

The lot I posted the link to above will, I expect, come down in price as reality bites. There seem to be a few homeowners around here advertising wood for free at the moment; maybe the effect of more garden projects being done and recycling centres having been shut?

I want these buyer's details.. I've got a lovely seaside parcel of land to sell while the tide is out.

Saying that, I've sold plenty of loads of rings from the yard, some mixed loads of rings and lengths too, it has a value to some people I guess.

I give away sawmill offcuts, it amazes me the effort some people put into getting something for free..

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Con said:

Hmmm. Who's told him they're worth £120

Probably the tree surgeon that didn't want to take them away

It could well be, the homeowner saved £120 by the TS guy not taking them away.. and thought someone will want it, and they could  make some cash  to help pay for the tree job.. however after some time of it still sitting there and the price slowly being lowered, eventually someone will take them even if it is for free.????

• Like 1

Yes the beech is nice wood, or could be. I'd guess at 5 to 6 cube once CSS and is wellfirewood BUT it needs processing and £300 saving Vs buying it ready seasoned is not a good deal for the effort there.  I'd pay £100 for it delivered, and only then to a tree surgeon as it would be getting a contact for a regular supply.  If I were cutting it, I'd need permission to take a bit of time and to buck on site, and probably rough split the big rounds as i don't want an unnecessary hernia through shifting it.  It also needs to be not far from vehicle access, not far from home and CLEAN if you end up wrecking a chain or 2 then add £50 to to your be cost, hours to the time taken and subtract a couple of years from your life due to frustration!  I need a decent saw to do it swiftly too.....a lot of people looking at that add won't have such a saw.... They could pick over the pile and take plenty that their small saw can eat, but it's looking more costly if they don't take the large bits.

Yes the beech is nice, but not at that price. I know I've become a wood snob in that I've 2 tree surgeons delivering to me for free and very happy I can take their waste, and another nearby that I collect from for free. But you either need to be desperate, or naive at scrounging, to pay £300 for that beech.