Pruning conifers

3 hours ago, ESS said:

Is it a case of that or more a case of most softwood mills buy either red/green quality logs at specific tdub. 

Very few softwood mills run a bandsaw now , and unless an exceptional stand was within a reasonable distance of a sawmill that is prepared to pay a premium, and has the ability to mill, any gain on standing price could be absorbed by extra haulage costs , particularly with s/s, n/s , most mills look for a max tdub of 45-50 cm, but considering this is only on log lengths ranging from 2.5 to 4.9 we are not talking about particularly large trees. Douglas/ Larch would be a different story.

Even crops with a large proportion of green quality log attract a premium, average dead knot would not disadvantage it in todays market. 

I'm so long out of marketing softwood, over thirty years really and last parcel of hardwood was probably twenty years ago but I'm sure you are right.

I did not know band saws were not common now, last big sawmill I went to had a chipper canter followed by band resaws.

Yes if the wood went into a normal mill alongside other "green" logs it would not get a premium or be used as high quality. The general rule in Forestry is that small amounts get subsumed into the next lower grade.

The only hope would be if the premium timber were kept for own use or a niche where its superior strength would be recognised.

If I had owned woodland near to home I would have pruned and thinned simply to be able to enjoy the resulting timber, standing. I still walk past oaks I pruned 30 years ago and wish I had been able to continue another lift as they are growing fast and clean, being on sand they will shake if left to a long rotation.

• Like 2

On 29/05/2020 at 22:34, Khriss said:

Its going for fuel wood chip  ?  give yr shoulders a rest !  K

I think I'll stay at it as long as the shoulders are up to it. Thanks for all the replies.

I probably am aiming at a Niche market, what that market will be like in 25 years is anyone's guess. It's a bit like predicting ww2 at the end of ww1.

• Like 2