Husqvarna 372 piston

carpenter1

My husqvarna  372 started to not idle and being difficult to start. Took it to the dealer, there saying the bore is scored and the piston rings are stuck. They are saying I mixed the fuel and oil wrong. But I always run on Aspen. What else could of caused it?

I did notice when it started to not idle, the exhaust was slightly loose, and the 4 bolts holding the cylinder down where loose, so tightened both to try again. But still the same, any idea to the cause?

3 minutes ago, carpenter1 said:

My husqvarna  372 started to not idle and being difficult to start. Took it to the dealer, there saying the bore is scored and the piston rings are stuck. They are saying I mixed the fuel and oil wrong. But I always run on Aspen. What else could of caused it?

I did notice when it started to not idle, the exhaust was slightly loose, and the 4 bolts holding the cylinder down where loose, so tightened both to try again. But still the same, any idea to the cause?

Air leak making it run lean . Probably salvageable if its only a light nip up . New OEM or Meter piston and rings  remove aluminium tranfer and a light hone on the bore . Check for other potential air leaks though  as you don't want to do all that over again !

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Air leak making it run lean . Probably salvageable if its only a light nip up . New OEM or Meter piston and rings  remove aluminium tranfer and a light hone on the bore . Check for other potential air leaks though  as you don't want to do all that over again !

So the loose exhaust and cylinder could of caused it? 

Just now, carpenter1 said:

So the loose exhaust and cylinder could of caused it? 

Yes . A good alternative to the above would be to send it to Spud to fix and get him to port at the same time .

• Like 1

Yup, any air leak will lean the saw down and will let it over rev. A loose cylinder will cause a big air leak, it may damage the base gasket, scuff the cylinder and in bad cases, fracture the cylinder lugs that clamp it to the crankcases.

A loose muffler will allow the saw to over rev and also heat up the cylinder nicely with leaking exhaust gases so a seize is immanent.

• Like 1