Mitox 4116 (OK I know your laughing)

cygnusnsf

Hi All, so as the title suggests I know your laugh but I have for my sins a MITOX 4116 - and its lost compression, but rather than place in landfill or gather dust in the shed - I wondered if anyone knows if a cylinder kit or if I can use a substitute Cylinder and piston kit can be obtained? I know seems a little odd but trying to get my nipper off his PS4 and learn some mechanical skills.

Even if someone else has a good spares gathering dust that would also be considered if willing to help.

All help greatly appreciated.

I have found that its got spark (changed plug), cleaned air filter and checked muffler and if I put a little motor oil in the cylinder directly it will then run for couple of seconds and die. But certainly appears compression is low as can pull rope fairly easily as well and its got fresh fuel and run carb cleaner through it but fails still to start.

Stay safe and well

Rgds

Cygnusnsf

Edited by cygnusnsf

I don't know how much help it'll be.

A quick google has these people listing a cylinder and piston plus many other parts...

No idea if they are any good.

https://www.diyspareparts.com/parts/mitox/machine/4116-chainsaw/

UK based...and I suspect you aren't?

Bob

51 minutes ago, cygnusnsf said:

Hi All, so as the title suggests I know your laugh but I have for my sins a MITOX 4116 - and its lost compression, but rather than place in landfill or gather dust in the shed - I wondered if anyone knows if a cylinder kit or if I can use a substitute Cylinder and piston kit can be obtained? I know seems a little odd but trying to get my nipper off his PS4 and learn some mechanical skills.

Even if someone else has a good spares gathering dust that would also be considered if willing to help.

All help greatly appreciated.

I have found that its got spark (changed plug), cleaned air filter and checked muffler and if I put a little motor oil in the cylinder directly it will then run for couple of seconds and die. But certainly appears compression is low as can pull rope fairly easily as well and its got fresh fuel and run carb cleaner through it but fails still to start.

Stay safe and well

Rgds

Cygnusnsf

Have you had it long ?  If not just take it back to B+Q or where ever and they give you a new one I have heard ....

Not enough vowels......must be Welsh.

Anyway, pop the muffler off, if seized, it will be scored up and not look smooth. If it is scored then you can replace the parts but you also have to understand what caused the parts to fail. This could be the owner not understanding that two strokes MUST have two stroke oil introduced to the fuel in a 50:1 ratio, fuel to oil. On a newer machine, this is probably the reason but don't rule out the carb fiddler that leans down the H screw with no idea what he is doing.

Parts - DIY spare parts do Mitox parts but take it from me, replacing the parts is just one part of the repair, the rest is a full check to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Anyway, WTF is a Mitox 4116 anyway?

Edited by spudulike
  • Like 1

Hi All, thanks again for your suggestions and ideas - certainly will be a learning curve.

So few little updates.

I got this old Chainsaw (I think its 10 plus years old) free as a project.

its not seized but I will be inspecting suspect its badly scored up.

After looking at the prices of genuine parts I think for a cylinder and piston and bits and bobs its probably not worth me spending Fifty or so quid to get it running on genuine parts.

But upon searching ebay I might have had some luck as I think there are cheap Chinese knock off kits from about £16 and as I'm not exactly going to be using as work horse I think for the price of few pints might be fun to have a go *IF* the dimensions match. Obviously will check its physically right first.

Ebay Link - Click Here -

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

For 52CC 5200For China gasoline chain saw. Cylinder Bore: 45mm (Approx.). 2 Piston Rings. 1 Cylinder. Material: Steel...

P.s. Yes based in UK in Portsmouth

Cygnus - is in homage to love of the band RUSH and NSF initials!

Thank you again for all the help as a newbie to this kind of thing its great to have such great updates.

4 hours ago, cygnusnsf said:

Hi All, thanks again for your suggestions and ideas - certainly will be a learning curve.

So few little updates.

I got this old Chainsaw (I think its 10 plus years old) free as a project.

its not seized but I will be inspecting suspect its badly scored up.

After looking at the prices of genuine parts I think for a cylinder and piston and bits and bobs its probably not worth me spending Fifty or so quid to get it running on genuine parts.

But upon searching ebay I might have had some luck as I think there are cheap Chinese knock off kits from about £16 and as I'm not exactly going to be using as work horse I think for the price of few pints might be fun to have a go *IF* the dimensions match. Obviously will check its physically right first.

Ebay Link - Click Here -

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

For 52CC 5200For China gasoline chain saw. Cylinder Bore: 45mm (Approx.). 2 Piston Rings. 1 Cylinder. Material: Steel...

P.s. Yes based in UK in Portsmouth

Cygnus - is in homage to love of the band RUSH and NSF initials!

Thank you again for all the help as a newbie to this kind of thing its great to have such great updates.

They won't know who Rush are too Cultured there all Kiley minogue,Wham,George Micheal.  No more Neil Peart!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AngrySquirrel said:

They won't know who Rush are too Cultured there all Kiley minogue,Wham,George Micheal.  No more Neil Peart!

I saw them a few times . After Geddy Lee joined .

• Like 1