Burr oak slab

Big Beech

1 hour ago, The avantgardener said:

Rod Hull didn’t ride his, at least not in public, and who takes a flightless bird up on the roof to fix the TV signal ?

Oh yeah, my mistake!
How was there enough space within the realms of comedy to support 2 giant puppet-bird based acts, and why oh why has nobody subsequently filled the vacuum they have left?!! 

20 hours ago, Big Beech said:

Board has been soaked, and currently has 350ltr of water in two butts on top of the plank. The plank was placed on a ladder section and wedged accordingly to make sure it didn't sag.

Wondering how long ill need to leave it?

I like the idea of water butts as a means of weighting Slabs. Easy to put in place and then fill then drain after. Saves a lot of back breaking work. 350 litres is of course only 350 kg of weight. Might be worth adding more considering you're trying to remove bows/warping as opposed to trying to prevent it. 

How long did you soak the Slab and how did you do this? Id imagine you'd need to completely submerge the slab for about a week to be effective. I was watching a video on soaking wood chunks in water before putting them on the BBQ to create smoke. The guy added dye to the water then cut the chinks up after 24 hours of being submerged and it was surprising how little the dyed water penetrated the wood. And this was maybe 2" cubes. 

Maybe steam would be the best option? Build a crate and buy a Wallpaper remover or two, leave for 24-48 hours and then weight down. 

On 07/06/2020 at 13:24, trigger_andy said:

I like the idea of water butts as a means of weighting Slabs. Easy to put in place and then fill then drain after. Saves a lot of back breaking work. 350 litres is of course only 350 kg of weight. Might be worth adding more considering you're trying to remove bows/warping as opposed to trying to prevent it. 

How long did you soak the Slab and how did you do this? Id imagine you'd need to completely submerge the slab for about a week to be effective. I was watching a video on soaking wood chunks in water before putting them on the BBQ to create smoke. The guy added dye to the water then cut the chinks up after 24 hours of being submerged and it was surprising how little the dyed water penetrated the wood. And this was maybe 2" cubes. 

Maybe steam would be the best option? Build a crate and buy a Wallpaper remover or two, leave for 24-48 hours and then weight down. 

I spent a considerable time keepingthe board wet in a makeshift swamp out of some butyl liner. The weight was sufficient as the board was flat on the ladder.

I've another nice board, and have experimented with a steam floor cleaner. I soaked the board with approximately 10 kettles of boiling water which I covered with more butyl as the sun was out keeping it warm. I then spent an afternoon steaming my plank. It worked extremely well considering with only one large burr not wanting to budge. Currently weighed down with two sacks of corn, dustbin full of corn,fence post mix and air compressor ?

Looks pretty good. Might need to underscore the burr to bend it though. 

Weather or not it stays true I don't know, wait and see I suppose ?‍♂️

• Like 1

So a little update.

The plank with the water on, at this stage looks ok but will soon take the water butts off.

The one which was steamed with the floor steam cleaner I needed to move as it was a pain getting in and out of the shed.

Now I am thoroughly impressed! Before I could get my whole hand under the cup, now barely a finger. There are a few areas which show a bit of it still but it has made the slab useful again. 

In the hot weather forecast next week i am going to wet it again and place under some butyl liner to get some good heat in. This method worked well the other day on a small board and feel that it may help out on the edges of the big board.

Real pleased ?

• Like 1