Beginner's Guide to Ash Dieback

aesmith

Question

Hi, asking here because I'm really after some layman's advice on Ash Dieback.  We have a lot of Ash trees of every conceivable sort, from mature trees to regrowth from stumps to self seeded saplings.   So I'd appreciate a few pointers ..

(1) What is the best way for us to spot early signs?

(2) If we find an affected tree, what's the best way to proceed?  If it's small enough for me to handle should we immediately cut it down, and dispose of it (how?)

(3) This is what triggered my post.  I've been looking at a sapling that's showing no signs of the buds at it's tips opening.  I know Ash is show to come into leaf but checking with binoculars I can't see any other example where the tips are not at the same stage as the rest of the tree.  Is this an indication of trouble?  It doesn't seem to be listed as a symptom in any information that I can find.  Photo of one of the non-opening buds attached.

The tree in (3) is actually unwanted, self seeded in a stupid place and I just haven't got around to removing it yet.  I'm half inclined to go straight out and get rid of it. 

Thanks,  Tony S

Ash Bud.png

3 answers to this question

We recently went over to wharfedale to do some river clearance work, the dale is been decimated by ash die back, I would say at least 60 % of them have got it and showing sign of developing it. Come back over in to Nidderdale and there’s very few trees with it.

We have it in Ireland too, I had one sapling that probably had it last year, now every sapling I've seen has it but most of the mature trees look ok so far. Following this thread to try find what's the best thing to do about it. AFAIK the spores spread from rotting leaves.

One suggestion I've heard is to spread urea on the forest floor after leaves have fallen. This helps break down the leaves before the fungus can reproduce.

Adding biochar to the soil around young trees seems to help them fight it off, but it has to be incorporated into the soil, not just sprinkled on top. Maybe cut the affected trees down and make charcoal out of them is a solution? New here so not sure if pic will load or not, spotted this one last weekend, I'm lucky I don't have commercial ash, but still it's sad as I'd have 100s of ash trees in hedges on the farm. 

IMG_0507[1].JPG

• Like 1