Alaskan milling

gobbypunk

1 minute ago, The avantgardener said:

The quality of the steel means they are more rigid and they are very durable, very little guidebar dressing required, easily worth the extra money.

OK, not had an issue using Stihl or GB Bars for the last three years. I guess it does not have to be Sugi Bars, just personal preference? 

• Like 1

Sugi and gb bars make the stihl bars look like they were made by Cadbury, they last so much longer they work out cheaper in the long run. 

How????
Stihl don't sell big bars for the UK market.
What are you basing this statement on?
Stihl bars are of a very high quality.
I've used stihl bars for 13 years and only had problems when I bend them.
Canon and GB are excellent bars,
But sugihara's have a known reputation for chipping and snapping.
I rate all these bars the same,
Personal preference.
I like orange.
[emoji16][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

How????
Stihl don't sell big bars for the UK market.
What are you basing this statement on?
Stihl bars are of a very high quality.
I've used stihl bars for 13 years and only had problems when I bend them.
Canon and GB are excellent bars,
But sugihara's have a known reputation for chipping and snapping.
I rate all these bars the same,
Personal preference.
I like orange.
emoji16.pngemoji106.pngemoji106.pngemoji106.png

I’ve only used stihl up to 48” and 50 something with sugi. I don’t knock stihl bars, I still use some. I just find (time and time again) I get a lot more life out of sugi and gb bars per £ spent compared to stihl. I don’t treat them any different to each other.

I don’t mill any where as much as you but work my gear hard in forestry, climbing, Hedgelaying and a small bit of milling if I need something or find a nice stick, but more often than not i mill beams so the whole tree fits through the chipper, you can extract more timber and easier from a garden in beams over rings!

I’ve only used stihl up to 48” and 50 something with sugi. I don’t knock stihl bars, I still use some. I just find (time and time again) I get a lot more life out of sugi and gb bars per £ spent compared to stihl. I don’t treat them any different to each other.
I don’t mill any where as much as you but work my gear hard in forestry, climbing, Hedgelaying and a small bit of milling if I need something or find a nice stick, but more often than not i mill beams so the whole tree fits through the chipper, you can extract more timber and easier from a garden in beams over rings!

You mill wood to put through a chipper?
  • Haha 1

Yes, we get paid to do the tree work and clear the site, with oversize wood with no value locally beams can be quicker than rings to cut and get out, the chipper loads truck, the tip button empties it and we get paid!

Its not often we don’t but on some jobs it works well. Also being on a small island there is minimal market for milled timber and haulage to the mainland is to expensive to be profitable/viable

Yes, we get paid to do the tree work and clear the site, with oversize wood with no value locally beams can be quicker than rings to cut and get out, the chipper loads truck, the tip button empties it and we get paid!
Its not often we don’t but on some jobs it works well. Also being on a small island there is minimal market for milled timber and haulage to the mainland is to expensive to be profitable/viable

You mill timber to chip.................
[emoji853]