Cherry plum bowl

Gaz_bee

Just finished my first bowl, pretty happy how it’s turned out. It’s a little uneven here and there but I ruffed it out my my saw and when at it with my knifes and a 80 grit wheel on a grinder!

so I was just wondering what would be the best oil/varnish to finish it with?

Thanks

IMG_1854.jpgIMG_1855.jpg

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Gaz_bee said:

Just finished my first bowl, pretty happy how it’s turned out. It’s a little uneven here and there but I ruffed it out my my saw and when at it with my knifes and a 80 grit wheel on a grinder!

so I was just wondering what would be the best oil/varnish to finish it with?

Thanks

IMG_1854.jpgIMG_1855.jpg

Very nice! How long did you dry the wood before carving?

What knives do you use? Was thinking of getting some of my own. 

I really like Danish Oil, its food and Child safe, really makes the wood pop and has a shell like finish. 

Very nice! How long did you dry the wood before carving?

What knives do you use? Was thinking of getting some of my own. 

I really like Danish Oil, its food and Child safe, really makes the wood pop and has a shell like finish. 

The tree had been laying in a garden blown over for about 4 months before I cut it up for use.
As for knifes I’ve just got some cheap ones of eBay (not sure of the brand) and to be honest I wouldn’t recommend them as i snapped two doing this bowl so il be looking for a good set soon enough myself.
Yeah I was thinking of danish oil as good all round finish[emoji1303]
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gaz_bee said:

The tree had been laying in a garden blown over for about 4 months before I cut it up for use.
As for knifes I’ve just got some cheap ones of eBay (not sure of the brand) and to be honest I wouldn’t recommend them as i snapped two doing this bowl so il be looking for a good set soon enough myself.
Yeah I was thinking of danish oil as good all round finishemoji1303.png

I hope it does not split then. Four months lying on the ground would have done little to reduce the MC. Might be worth keeping in a cool garage or shed for a few months before finishing? 

Another option would be when it splits if fill the split with something? Resin maybe? 

I'll have a look at Axminster for some knives. :) 

I hope it does not split then. Four months lying on the ground would have done little to reduce the MC. Might be worth keeping in a cool garage or shed for a few months before finishing? 

Another option would be when it splits if fill the split with something? Resin maybe? 

I'll have a look at Axminster for some knives. [emoji4] 

Yeah that was my thought too fingers crossed, I’m keeping it in a cool storage room for the time at the back of my house for now so il see how it goes.
I’ve got a few good pieces and a nice straight trunk of the timber to work with so plenty more to go at![emoji1303]
  • Like 1