husky 266se any ideas

apvinny

hi first post so don't be to rough.i was was given a husky 266 se as a non runner and parts missing so i thought in lockdown would be a nice little project. first off good clean and strip down new crank seals oil pump o ring and x ring new carb kit all oil and fuel pick up lines and filters and intake gasket.still not running right had carb apart 3 times now,so bought a chinese carb which is better but still dies after about a minute ticking over.sometimes hard to start when warm it may need choke.all help appreciated.its driving me nuts

Possibly crank seals on a saw of that age - replaced mine on my 266SG when i bought it, plus a chinese carb too,  much better. Pressure test the crankcase just to be sure. K

Edited by Khriss
Thought of summat

Seems like a normal 266 then ! Have no idea what causes them to run like that though, some will run fine others could be never ending trouble from new , seem to remember venting the tank would help start on a few of the ones I had... hopefully Andrew@adw will be along shortly and solve your problem and the mystery of the pita 266.

It doesn't really tie in with the symptoms you have, however ,some of the huskys from that era had a habit of choking the muffler with carbon.

We ran 266s for a number of years with very few problems , and worked the guts out of them.

The 266 never really suffered with any on going issues, from the description it does sound fuel related, when fitting the oil seal in the oil pump you have to be very careful re installing it back over the step in the crank as it will pop the spring out, a small amount of sea lent under the flywheel side oil seal holder is a good idea as the holder is plastic and can distort with age, fuel filter replacement is always done on an old saw, perished fuel hose is another possibility, a pressure test will show this, the HS series carb was very reliable, there are core plugs over the jets which are best removed and cleaned underneath, I have no faith in Chinese carbs. Impulse hole in cylinder blocked or gaskets incorrectly positioned, induction block warped and not seating properly, the early 266 had twin steel piston rings, these did give issues hence the return to a single cast ring, failing this cylinder off to assess piston condition. Excessive air gap between flywheel and ignition unit.

A standard instant gasket, without a pressure vac gauge you are always going to be guessing, you say you have done all these things but the answer lies in one of the things suggested, I will reiterate Chinese carbs are crap and could be leading you astray.