UK to NZ qualifications and advice

Hi all,

A question for any that have made the move from the UK to NZ...

My partner and I are hoping to relocate to NZ once the borders open up again, using a skilled migrant visa. Reading forums and having been out there, I got the impression NZ really needed arborists and finding work was dead easy. But filling in the points indicator form, as a 29-year-old english speaking arborist  from the UK, with all the level 3 NPTC qualifications and 5 years experience, I'm still not reaching the minimum points required.

Does Level 3 NPTC not equal Level 3 in NZ? Is that where I'm going wrong?  

I'm wanting to bring my partner along which is why I thought the skilled migrant visa was the way to go, but now I'm thinking maybe just heading out there as tourists and then doing the paperwork once I'm there and have found work would be the better bet? Anyone been through a similar thing? Cheers!

• Like 1

Paid an NZ agency to do the application for my son whose been working out there for 4.5 years. This because I’m hoping they know how to do it best. Son was firstly admitted for work as an mechanical engineer, but presently managing four bars and a restaurant for a consortium. About £3500 in costs so far[emoji15]. Trouble is (like you) he’s over 25 and NZ has recently been inundated by wealthy Asians retiring there and it’s much harder to get residency and permission to work. A housing shortage is also an issue with locals pissed off as house prices have been inflated partly because of wealthy incomers. Covid 19 has also postponed all applications.

My wife and I also considered migrating as we really like NZ and the people’s attitude. Plus we’re sick of Nicola Sturgeon and her separatists.
Wife’s a midwife and I too could get in on qualifications too. But, because of our ages a million in assets is what they’re currently looking for.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Baldbloke said:

Wife’s a midwife and I too could get in on qualifications too. But, because of our ages a million in assets is what they’re currently looking for.

A million pounds or a million Kiwi Dollars? 

How old are you if you dont mind me asking? Ive thought about emigrating to a English Speaking Country before. NZ and Canada seem to fit the Bill. Even the US but seems really hard to get in there and the people are proper crazy. :D I think at 41 I might have left it to late? 

A million pounds or a million Kiwi Dollars? 

How old are you if you dont mind me asking? Ive thought about emigrating to a English Speaking Country before. NZ and Canada seem to fit the Bill. Even the US but seems really hard to get in there and the people are proper crazy. [emoji3] I think at 41 I might have left it to late? 

My understanding was that if you were getting on a bit the NZ Government doesn’t want older people migrating there only to be a burden on the state. The last time I looked they wanted proof that with all assets including property, pension and cash you’d need £1 million at my age, which is 61. However my wife is 54 and has 1 year to go to rely on her midwife qualifications.
At present we might scrape it with our assets and qualifications, but in a year or so probably not. And that’s with a sister and her family as well as my son potentially getting residency.

They want young (under 25) professionals
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Baldbloke said:

My understanding was that if you were getting on a bit the NZ Government doesn’t want older people migrating there only to be a burden on the state. The last time I looked they wanted proof that with all assets including property, pension and cash you’d need £1 million at my age, which is 61. However my wife is 54 and has 1 year to go to rely on her midwife qualifications.
At present we might scrape it with our assets and qualifications, but in a year or so probably not. And that’s with a sister and her family as well as my son potentially getting residency.

They want young (under 25) professionals

Cheers. :)

How do you check what Pension you have? Or are you referring to a Private Pension only? How do you find out how much assets you need to qualify? 

Cheers. [emoji4]

How do you check what Pension you have? Or are you referring to a Private Pension only? How do you find out how much assets you need to qualify? 

Andy:
All within the guidelines/application with a bit of research.

BTW, my wife has corrected me by saying that last year it was a need for us to have been able to realise £750,000 and not 1 million as I suggested.
Trouble is we’re both comfortable working for the SNHS and most of our assets are tied up in property.
Even the shitty state pension has a value to add to your private pensions. A financial advisor can ascertain what value is in either.[emoji1303]

To the original poster:

Hopefully your partner has something to offer rather than just tagging along. While you may get in with a sponsor if your partner hasn’t a qualification or a job offer it won’t help your application.
More importantly, they take a dim view of folk turning up on a visitor permit and retrospectively finding work. Doing that will probably ensure you never get to progress a work permit or residency
  • Like 1

On 24/05/2020 at 17:01, Baldbloke said:

Paid an NZ agency to do the application for my son whose been working out there for 4.5 years. This because I’m hoping they know how to do it best. Son was firstly admitted for work as an mechanical engineer, but presently managing four bars and a restaurant for a consortium. About £3500 in costs so faremoji15.png. Trouble is (like you) he’s over 25 and NZ has recently been inundated by wealthy Asians retiring there and it’s much harder to get residency and permission to work. A housing shortage is also an issue with locals pissed off as house prices have been inflated partly because of wealthy incomers. Covid 19 has also postponed all applications.

My wife and I also considered migrating as we really like NZ and the people’s attitude. Plus we’re sick of Nicola Sturgeon and her separatists.

Thanks for all that helpful info! Wishing you the best of luck that your application goes through before NZ deems it too late. I wasn't aware they took a dim view on folks turning up and then retrospectively finding work... I know quite a few friends that did it that way. Think the higher criteria for points during this pandemic will be the main challenge. Will try it from the UK first, then from NZ and if neither are successful then ah well, I hear Canada's not too bad!