Which is better value for money - Air dried @25% MC or Kiln dried Firewood @ 20%MC ?

arboriculturist

By the way where does anyone find air dried offered at 25% MC?  Or are we assuming that most suppliers actually don't do any better than that, even though most claim sub 20%.  My local place (the £50 softwood) says they aim for 15-17% but are only promising sub 20%.

2 hours ago, aesmith said:

By the way where does anyone find air dried offered at 25% MC?  Or are we assuming that most suppliers actually don't do any better than that, even though most claim sub 20%.  My local place (the £50 softwood) says they aim for 15-17% but are only promising sub 20%.

20% is good enough for me . Anything less and I would want to pay less !

• Like 1

9 hours ago, aesmith said:

Back in the real world I don't need any sort of calculation to tell me that air dried softwood at £50/cube is miles better value than kiln dried hardwood at £140.   Does anyone find prices in their area sufficiently different so that kiln dried wins out?  

Bearing in mind I don't sell or buy hardwood just collect for my own use, though in the past I did commercial work on dryers and chip stoking boilers, hence my interest in the science, I take what I can get, and don't turn my nose up at softwood. Felled in winter it can have a low moisture content and it does dry fast once split.

Anyway the basic density of pine and   oak from the blue book says 350 kg and 540 kg oven dry timber per m3. As pine is a slightly higher calorific value I would suggest when buying by cubic metre bulk loads the ratio should be about 70% the price of oak for similar heat output at the same moisture content. It will be lower for spruce.

Bearing in mind I don't sell or buy hardwood just collect for my own use, though in the past I did commercial work on dryers and chip stoking boilers, hence my interest in the science, I take what I can get, and don't turn my nose up at softwood. Felled in winter it can have a low moisture content and it does dry fast once split.

Anyway the basic density of pine and   oak from the blue book says 350 kg and 540 kg oven dry timber per m3. As pine is a slightly higher calorific value I would suggest when buying by cubic metre bulk loads the ratio should be about 70% the price of oak for similar heat output at the same moisture content. It will be lower for spruce.
What is the blue book that you refer to, out of interest?

[emoji23] what a load of [emoji90]
All I see is a biased comparison of 2 different products, one you like and the other you don't.
I don't know what you need to carry on trying to justify to us that seasoned firewood seems to be far superior than kiln drying it.
We are retail businesses, I supply what the customer wants and customers want kiln dried hardwood.
If youve got the time, space and can be arsed you crack on processing and leaving firewood outside for 6-12 months then fine, but stop badgering the people that don't or don't want to.
I supplied 2 products for the last 6 years, seasoned hardwood (25% that we actually kiln dried in our own kiln) and a kiln dried product that we bought in at 15% moisture. Sales were always around 70% kiln dried to 30% seasoned.
This winter was the first time we stopped supplying seasoned hardwood and only sold kiln dried. Sales were up around 10% overall this winter.

• Like 1

Has anyone considered the monstrously high C02 cost of producing kiln dried firewood? I don't dispute that it's what customers want (principally because they're idiots) but I did a quick calculation some months back and the best case scenario for kiln drying logs is that the CO2 cost is 8 times what air drying is. 

I honestly think that if the public were aware of the environmental cost, it would be much less popular. 

Burning wood to dry wood that is for burning is fundamentally stupid. There is plenty of wood waste that is fit for burning to produce heat for industrial applications (like CHP plants, direct heating or kiln drying products where natural drying is unfeasible) and plenty of demand for that too. 

In the weather we've had this spring, you could have dried almost any hardwood to sub 25% in three months with decent airflow.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2