Building an ally plank tipper back myself. Advice needed

Thesnarlingbadger

39 minutes ago, Gray git said:

Just been looking on service metal's website and can't actually see anything about planking or indication of pricing, are they a phone up and ask sort of company?
Really fancy doing something like this on our grafter as the box is looking rather crap now._20200524_151908.jpeg

Really like the 45degree kick up to the roof but can't find any preformed section to do this.

Sorry if owner of this landy in on here and I've just nicked one of your pictures

I have used Aalco - really good setup, loads of info on their website. I think they price by weight from memory so the price changes with metal value. 

http://www.aalco.co.uk/literature/files/aalco-stocklist.pdf

Just been looking on service metal's website and can't actually see anything about planking or indication of pricing, are they a phone up and ask sort of company?
Really fancy doing something like this on our grafter as the box is looking rather crap now._20200524_151908.thumb.jpeg.ed180e7c3cd25fdc9d6331aee2dbf4ed.jpeg

Really like the 45degree kick up to the roof but can't find any preformed section to do this.

Sorry if owner of this landy in on here and I've just nicked one of your pictures

Hi Gary

Yes from what I’ve heard you have to phone up and ask but they are meant to be pretty good with advice etc. I think they do everything from what people have said on previous threads but have yet to find out, there brochures seem to have loads of bits all suited to different angles etc so I would assume they have straight planks.

That is a nice back but I would want to avoid over complicating things with angles on my build, I’m planning on having 1 drop off angle at the back so I can avoid to many cuts. Time is money as they say and I’m going to try and wrap the whole build up over a few days.

2 hours ago, monkeybusiness said:

These are worth a look too - https://www.johnadamssupplies.co.uk/

cheers Monkey Business, just been looking at the John Adams stuff and it pretty helpful especially so I can get a rough idea of costs, its coming in at around 2.5k at the moment. which I can live with. Thanks for the link 

On 24/05/2020 at 15:20, Gray git said:

Really fancy doing something like this on our grafter as the box is looking rather crap now._20200524_151908.jpeg

Aye that's smart looking, is it just made with alloy box section and sheet welded together? I'd like to try alloy welding and make similar.

• Like 1