Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Paul Tomo

What size sheets for back boards

Recommended Posts

I’m hopefully buying a transit tipper for my tree surgery business and I will be needing to sort the side boards and head board. Could you please let me your ideas on size of boards I will need to buy and some idea on how to make the back up. Pics would be great to give me some idea on how the back is made up.

 

thanks Paul 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Paul Tomo said:

I’m hopefully buying a transit tipper for my tree surgery business and I will be needing to sort the side boards and head board. Could you please let me your ideas on size of boards I will need to buy and some idea on how to make the back up. Pics would be great to give me some idea on how the back is made up.

 

thanks Paul 

Plywood? If so, 3x 8x4 sheets will get you a decent sized box (4x if you want a roof). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, monkeybusiness said:

Plywood? If so, 3x 8x4 sheets will get you a decent sized box (4x if you want a roof). 

What thickness would they need to be. I would want a roof so 4 8x4 sheets 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want to get the sides higher then two sheets per side, the other way up.bolted together steel box section as framework. Got mine at 5ft high and painted with two coats of bitumen paint which seems to be holding up well, certainly better than Ducksback fence treatment. Can fill right up with chips or brash, grasscuttings etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, monkeybusiness said:

18mm wbp for the sides and headboard, 12mm will be fine for the roof. 

Thanks for the info. Would you finish it with paint or wood stain? I’m thinking of advertising as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rapalaman said:

If you want to get the sides higher then two sheets per side, the other way up.bolted together steel box section as framework. Got mine at 5ft high and painted with two coats of bitumen paint which seems to be holding up well, certainly better than Ducksback fence treatment. Can fill right up with chips or brash, grasscuttings etc

Thanks, I’ll go the same height as the cab I think. I don’t want to much above the cab 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Paul Tomo said:

Thanks for the info. Would you finish it with paint or wood stain? I’m thinking of advertising as well.

Paint to match your vehicle tipper body (not specific vehicle paint, just the cheapest slap-on paint you can find that is close in colour to your tipping body) - chuck a few coats on. With all the will in the world plywood sides won’t last for ever (particularly if you leave woodchip in there for prolonged periods of time). Even not well looked after you should get 18 months-2 years out of 18mm wbp before it needs replacing though. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used 18mm marine ply about £70 a sheet lasts longer and capped the edges with some aluminium channel to protect the ply from coming apart 1inch by 1inch by 1/8inch thick leaves a gap that slots nicely over 18mm ply. Got it from aluminium warehouse at about £50 which if it helps make the boards last another year is good and can be used again on the next set of boards I put on when these are trashed.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Featured Adverts

About

Arbtalk.co.uk is a hub for the arboriculture industry in the UK.  
If you're just starting out and you need business, equipment, tech or training support you're in the right place.  If you've done it, made it, got a van load of oily t-shirts and have decided to give something back by sharing your knowledge or wisdom,  then you're welcome too.
If you would like to contribute to making this industry more effective and safe then welcome.
Just like a living tree, it'll always be a work in progress.
Please have a look around, sign up, share and contribute the best you have.

See you inside.

The Arbtalk Team

Follow us

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.