What size sheets for back boards

Paul Tomo

I’m hopefully buying a transit tipper for my tree surgery business and I will be needing to sort the side boards and head board. Could you please let me your ideas on size of boards I will need to buy and some idea on how to make the back up. Pics would be great to give me some idea on how the back is made up.

thanks Paul 

11 minutes ago, Paul Tomo said:

I’m hopefully buying a transit tipper for my tree surgery business and I will be needing to sort the side boards and head board. Could you please let me your ideas on size of boards I will need to buy and some idea on how to make the back up. Pics would be great to give me some idea on how the back is made up.

thanks Paul 

Plywood? If so, 3x 8x4 sheets will get you a decent sized box (4x if you want a roof). 

2 minutes ago, monkeybusiness said:

Plywood? If so, 3x 8x4 sheets will get you a decent sized box (4x if you want a roof). 

What thickness would they need to be. I would want a roof so 4 8x4 sheets ?

If you want to get the sides higher then two sheets per side, the other way up.bolted together steel box section as framework. Got mine at 5ft high and painted with two coats of bitumen paint which seems to be holding up well, certainly better than Ducksback fence treatment. Can fill right up with chips or brash, grasscuttings etc

8 minutes ago, monkeybusiness said:

18mm wbp for the sides and headboard, 12mm will be fine for the roof. 

Thanks for the info. Would you finish it with paint or wood stain? I’m thinking of advertising as well.

2 minutes ago, rapalaman said:

If you want to get the sides higher then two sheets per side, the other way up.bolted together steel box section as framework. Got mine at 5ft high and painted with two coats of bitumen paint which seems to be holding up well, certainly better than Ducksback fence treatment. Can fill right up with chips or brash, grasscuttings etc

Thanks, I’ll go the same height as the cab I think. I don’t want to much above the cab ?

32 minutes ago, Paul Tomo said:

Thanks for the info. Would you finish it with paint or wood stain? I’m thinking of advertising as well.

Paint to match your vehicle tipper body (not specific vehicle paint, just the cheapest slap-on paint you can find that is close in colour to your tipping body) - chuck a few coats on. With all the will in the world plywood sides won’t last for ever (particularly if you leave woodchip in there for prolonged periods of time). Even not well looked after you should get 18 months-2 years out of 18mm wbp before it needs replacing though. 

• Like 1

I used 18mm marine ply about £70 a sheet lasts longer and capped the edges with some aluminium channel to protect the ply from coming apart 1inch by 1inch by 1/8inch thick leaves a gap that slots nicely over 18mm ply. Got it from aluminium warehouse at about £50 which if it helps make the boards last another year is good and can be used again on the next set of boards I put on when these are trashed.

• Like 3