Due to regs, hearth takes up 36% of room space?

Buel

1 hour ago, Ratman said:

Building regs stipulate you only need 300mm (12 inches) in front of your stove. The deciding factor for you will be to decide how far the door opens out? Obviously you dont want ash/embers falling from your door out on to the floor. I’ll measure my hearth when i get home but it defo aint anywhere near 1000mm deep front to back, and my stove is inset to the fireplace, signed off and certified so obviously conforms to the regs or i wouldn’t of received the cert.

Wow, this is interesting - thanks. Yes, please do measure, if you can.

Just spoke to the developer and he said that the wall is not necessarily able to take an inset burner....but he sounded willing to help?

Edited by Buel

You can use fireboard to cover areas to comply to regs, same as you need 2 1/2 times size of your flue in distance (i think it is but not 100% sure) away from say a wooden lintel, hence the reason i modified an old stone gate post to become my lintel. Two reasons, i didnt have the space to achieve it and retain a inset stove, and also because it would of looked shite having to cover a wooden lintel in fire board to achieve it.

How advanced is the house build?

When we built the extension the wall is stepped out to allow extra depth for the fireplace and accommodate the chimney.  Trouble with trying to put it into a straight wall is that they might do what the original house builders did with this one in the 60s, create the extra depth by removing the block work and cavity so the wall was only a single brick thick behind the fireplace.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Buel said:

The room dimensions are only 4067mm x 3627mm so that's 36% of the room already taken up by the hearth!

Thats some mind boggling maths right there. :D 

4067 x 3627 = 14.75 sq/m (m3) A Hearth thats 1000 x 1400 is literally 1.4m3, so as others have said thats a ball hair under 10% of your room floor space. 

But looking at your drawing, (if its at all accurate) you're including the actual fireplace as apart of the 1000mm Hearth length? Whats actually protruding into the room looks to be about 300-400mm? If so then bang on with Regs. And a whopping 4-6% of Floor Space. 

We recently had a stove installed. 300mm in front is regs. But our slab is 850mm to cover the door opening.
Our lounge is narrow so we went for a convector stove so combustibles can be very close, 100mm I think to the sides. Still 750mm or something in front.

Minimum size of hearth for a free standing stove was 840x840mm  even if stove was tiny but had to be bigger if there wasn't  300mm in front.

The area also has to be higher rest of the floor area so bang goes the whole of the floor as a hearth...which I presume was a joke .

Edited by slim reaper
Spelling