Turning old wood from a shed into neat firewood

NS2002---

On 23/05/2020 at 23:06, Stere said:

X27 is like a womens axe head is to light weight was very disapointed by it after all the rave reviews.

Much prefer maul as don't have to swing it as hard on big rounds the head weight does the work for you.

I use to wack at knots with the maul also but now I just noodle with chainsaw alot less effort.

What maul are you using?  Yes the x27 is quite light (the head is the same as the x25) but it has a decent edge on it and I find it just as effective as the cheap screwfix maul I was using but less effort as it is lighter.  I'm guessing you are using something better quality than the screwfix one and yes an effective maul alongside the x27 would be handy to have.

Dunno is just a cheap non brand one with yellow fibre handle thats decades old,  & the head profile looks abit similar to this bacho. Mines about  a 3kg head i think.

WWW.BAHCO.COM

{ "1": "Splitting Axes with Ash Wood Handle and One Flat Face 900 mm 3.5 kg" }

Some of the cheaper ones iv'e noticed the  head profile looks too narrow a V shape imo more like a felling axes in profile might be why some aren't as that good.

If you looks at the expensive ones  gransfor maul  &the germans brands   etc they tend has fairly a wide V profile head.

image.thumb.png.3767d7addf2f5de2e66433ec997ea5c6.png

Thats the key I reckon...

WWW.MUELLER-HAMMERWERK.AT

The ideal tool for splitting, and also for driving in plastic or aluminium felling wedges, and respectively aluminium...

WWW.OCHSENKOPF.COM

• Like 1

On 22/05/2020 at 15:27, Rob_the_Sparky said:

P.S. I started out with a maul from Screwfix (6lb?) but even after taking a bit of time to put some sort of an edge on it is not as good as an x27 splitting axe,  worth investing once you have learned with a cheap tool.  I then use wedge and big sledge for the really knotty stuff - that is where the workout starts.

I did read about the X27 splitting axe when I was first starting but thought I ought to get something a little cheaper in case it ended up being a fad. The maul was part of the Roughneck set from Screwfix which came with a log grenade and a hatchet. The grenade isn't amazing but to be honest I've not had any problems with the maul. I might put an X27 on the Christmas list this year.

Edited by Dazza95
spelling

54 minutes ago, Dazza95 said:

I did read about the X27 splitting axe when I was first starting but thought I ought to get something a little cheaper in case it ended up being a fad. The maul was part of the Roughneck set from Screwfix which came with a log grenade and a hatchet. The grenade isn't amazing but to be honest I've not had any problems with the maul. I might put an X27 on the Christmas list this year.

The X27 is an excellent piece of kit. It flies through most wood.

• Like 2

The screwfix set is the one I started with.  It took a while with a file to put some sort of edge on the maul and hatchet it as they were both poorly sharpened as supplied.  The wood grenade I found acted more like a giant nail on anything tough.  Still the maul will split wood and I still use it occasionally but the x27 is lighter and splits better.  However, as some have commented, as good an axe as it is it is not a maul so on tough stuff I currently use a wedge (a twisting one) and a big sledge, and that is hard work.  Maybe I'll ask for a decent maul for Christmas this year given the opinions above :)

N.B. the screwfix maul also has an odd shape on one side, effectively the width steps up.  When I first used it this used to just stop it dead so I smoothed off this step and it was better but I think it is why this is part of why it is not a very good maul.

• Like 2

Hi all, started a fire last night with some of the wood and some kindling i made. Wood is burning extremely well and is completely smokeless (apart from when i smother it or incomplete combustion etc). I've noticed quite a few kinks and weird shapings of the wood on the inside, particularily making it hard for me to split. I wondered if theres a way to identify the different axe head blunters in the wood, I've attached a few pics below to make it easier to understand what I'm talking about.

Thanks!

image.png

image.png

image.png