sachs Dolmar 109 oil leak saga

Tony-1976

5 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

Better off just buying new then? 

Ive no long bought a Makita (Dolmar) EA4300f up from Amazon.de for 200 euro's. came with two Oregon chains and an 18'' bar. Thats a 43cc saw as well.

Yes I agree, used is likely to have issues, I only bought one Makita, a DCS5121,  from new, and never had any problems with it. I regret having to leave it when I got  pushed as I doubt it got used since.

How old is a 109? It looks similar to a 114 I have, which I repaired and never have used. fitting an oil hose shouldn't be a big deal but it might open a can of worms.

10 hours ago, openspaceman said:

Yes I agree, used is likely to have issues, I only bought one Makita, a DCS5121,  from new, and never had any problems with it. I regret having to leave it when I got  pushed as I doubt it got used since.

How old is a 109? It looks similar to a 114 I have, which I repaired and never have used. fitting an oil hose shouldn't be a big deal but it might open a can of worms.

morning not sure on the age of the saw however it has been very well looked after hence me purchasing it.

I'm disappointed with the seller as he was not honest and should have pointed out the fact it leaked oil.

the reason I went second-hand was simply my budget. a new saw in my budget would have been cheap Chinese rubbish I'm an occasional user for cutting logs up for our small 5kw stove and buying logs small enough for our stove is difficult hence the saw purchase.  

I want to get this saw working as it should I may have to see if my local car mechanic would tackle the job I've used him for years on my old trusty citroen synergie.

the part itself seems reasonable and the oil resistant silicone is too I just need someone to want to tackle the job

49 minutes ago, Tony-1976 said:

a new saw in my budget would have been cheap Chinese rubbish I'm an occasional user for cutting logs up for our small 5kw stove and buying logs small enough for our stove is difficult hence the saw purchase.  

Domestic saws are good enough for us weekend warriors and don't need to cost a fortune, you can get a Husqvarna 120 ii for £132 from a few suppliers and that includes delivery at most of them.

2 hours ago, Tony-1976 said:

morning not sure on the age of the saw however it has been very well looked after hence me purchasing it.

I'm disappointed with the seller as he was not honest and should have pointed out the fact it leaked oil.

the reason I went second-hand was simply my budget. a new saw in my budget would have been cheap Chinese rubbish I'm an occasional user for cutting logs up for our small 5kw stove and buying logs small enough for our stove is difficult hence the saw purchase.  

I want to get this saw working as it should I may have to see if my local car mechanic would tackle the job I've used him for years on my old trusty citroen synergie.

the part itself seems reasonable and the oil resistant silicone is too I just need someone to want to tackle the job

How much did you pay for it? By the time you've paid someone to fix it you're genuinely better off just cutting your losses and buying a new saw. As Peatff says, a wee Husky or a wee Stihl. Then flog the saw on for £50. If you pay someone to look a it thats gonna be another £50-£100, maybe more? Unless you tackle the job yourself it just does not seem worth it. '

Then its still an old used saw which you dont know if its been used and abused or not. You say it looks well looked after, but have you you removed the Exhaust and have a peek at the piston? Might be well scored, might need a new air filer and plug etc etc. Might have been ran on too little 2 stroke. If they guys not told you it has a leak then he's hardly going to be honest about anything else.

Like a lot of things it pays to know what you're looking for before making a purchase. You'd not buy a second-hand car because it had shiny paint. 

Edited by trigger_andy

If it's really just firewood at home, my dad uses a Bosch plug in electric saw for this. Small, light, quieter, you can use it in the garage when it's raining or cold outside.

Battery saws are getting popular but much bigger investment to get going and I guess you will only get so many years out of a set of batteries - whereas my dad's had that saw ten maybe fifteen years.

15 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

By the time you've paid someone to fix it you're genuinely better off just cutting your losses and buying a new saw.

Yes or overcoming the OCD tendency and leave it empty of oil after use if the chain lubricates ok.

15 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

As Peatff says, a wee Husky or a wee Stihl.

Actually for just a m3 or so of logs a year an Einhell will do it, the one I acquired of is ok, although the consumer oregon bar leaves a lot to be desired, @Tony-1976 is welcome to try it and have it

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

They are a good solid saw and som do leak and some are ok 

there is a suction line and a pressure line both pipes arent that 

expensive and it doesn’t take too long too clean strip down and

replace

3ED4DF4A-6EA0-408D-94CC-EC7C816CEFD4.jpeg