Oak prices

Alderley logs

10 minutes ago, spuddog0507 said:

We have 28 to take down which is the last of a 5 acre stand, they should of come down in Jan but ground conditions where shit back then and we need a crane on site to load em, Average DBH i think was 42" and cutting spec was 42ft and 36ft with min top dia 20" and some smaller log of top and a bit of firewood, Outstanding looking trees and a shame to remove really but nothing lasts forever, i dont expect to see any more of these trees either, and to give credit where its due they have planted the site with Oak again,

Wimper.

No, I agree, they where planted to be harvested and harvested they are. 

What will they be used for? 

To just have a couple of tons of these majestic beasts would be a privilege. If there is anyway I could get even a few slithers of them let me know. 

So, whats this piece of English Oak worth then ? and would anyone on here like to buy it ?   I went on Saturday to give a price to ring up and haul this for firewood for a friend of the tree's owner. In my mind its too good for fire wood and suggested they they sell it for milling. Access to the timber is very good at the moment, the ground is rock hard.

I am going to cut a ring or two off the bottom this week and will post pictures when I do .     The house behind was built in the 1870's but the tree may far older, as records state their was property on this site in the 1400's.

20200516_135200.jpg

20200516_135211.jpg

29 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Wimper.

No, I agree, they where planted to be harvested and harvested they are. 

What will they be used for? 

To just have a couple of tons of these majestic beasts would be a privilege. If there is anyway I could get even a few slithers of them let me know. 

Same guy down in Somerset bought the whole stand about 7/8 years ago and been taking 25-30 trees a year out they are going for timber framed buildings, and i am 99% sure he got 2 arctic load about about 3 years ago from up around your area and ran that back to his yard,

6 minutes ago, Transplanted said:

So, whats this piece of English Oak worth then ? and would anyone on here like to buy it ?   I went on Saturday to give a price to ring up and haul this for firewood for a friend of the tree's owner. In my mind its too good for fire wood and suggested they they sell it for milling. Access to the timber is very good at the moment, the ground is rock hard.

I am going to cut a ring or two off the bottom this week and will post pictures when I do .     The house behind was built in the 1870's but the tree may far older, as records state their was property on this site in the 1400's.

20200516_135200.jpg

20200516_135211.jpg

Was that storm damage ? 

20200516_135200.thumb.jpg.c28ae0b16ba54a00c20db31298e374e1.jpg
20200516_135211.thumb.jpg.17d9b8ea66c3ac0397cc271a7ac81cbf.jpg

How anyone could consider ringing that up I don’t know? I’m not ashamed to say I get emotional just thinking about it. It’s simply a crime. Why does no one closer to home want it?

I’d honestly buy it to save it being turned into firewood. Seriously.
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

How anyone could consider ringing that up I don’t know? I’m not ashamed to say I get emotional just thinking about it. It’s simply a crime. Why does no one closer to home want it?

I’d honestly buy it to save it being turned into firewood. Seriously.

What are you on trigger ?? Your bed is oak man so get a grip son. Re planting for future uses musch (welsh for jock) 

Edited by topchippyles

What are you on trigger ?? Your bed is oak man so get a grip son. Re planting for future uses musch (welsh for jock) 

My bed in pine, Leslie.

If this tree was made into a bed that would be great. My issue, if I had one, was this tree is not being made onto a bed but made into firewood. Are you a retard or something? Something tells me you’re autistic at the very least. Which is not vastly different.
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Transplanted said:

20200516_135200.jpg

20200516_135211.jpg

Speak to Patrick Baxter at The Wood Place (formerly Lanarkshire Hardwood) or failing that, Ian Brown at AJ Scotts. 

That's an easy job as the ground is so hard. Hire a HIAB for a day, drive it to the log. Cut to required lengths, lift and deliver to customer. Assuming the butt end is OK (and tidied up), you've got an absolute minimum of £10/hf (£270/t) in it and at a guess, there is £2.5k in it.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

My bed in pine, Leslie.

If this tree was made into a bed that would be great. My issue, if I had one, was this tree is not being made onto a bed but made into firewood. Are you a retard or something? Something tells me you’re autistic at the very least. Which is not vastly different.

Trigger another day and another dollar, BIG J likes a good start in the morning and i can run with the real deal. Wrong time for a pretender 

Trigger another day and another dollar, BIG J likes a good start in the morning and i can run with the real deal. Wrong time for a pretender 

Yet again another post that makes sense to you and only you. I’ll be making quite a few dollars today, and I’ll not even have to leave my hotel room to do so. I’d hazard a guess I’ll make more than you without even leaving my bed. ?

If ever there was a pretender it would be the man who claims to be the “top” Chippy. More autistic nonsense. No run along and clap your hands together like a seal with all the other Reets.
  • Like 1