Stihl MS181 (not pro I know..)

Liam Outdoors 89

I did the course with a 16" 261 so it is possible but then Stihl didn't use to do a 15" bar for them so I think there is some discretion. One of the chaps on mine turned up with a 181, the training centre lent him a saw.

I have no idea who you are training with, but I would always say it's worth chatting to them beforehand as better to get questions sorted out before it's too late to do anything about it.

I was also thinking if the centre can lend you something then it takes the pressure off fixing this one.
Yeah good point

I'm doing it at Scott Frasers Tonbridge, Flexi tree surgeon course. I know they supply all of the climbing kit just not sure on saws, any way slightly off topic.

I'm really debating to get a 241 just chuck it on 0% credit card a d pay it off slowly. As the other saw I own is a 400 with a 20" bar which is great but it's little heavy to use all day and on smaller limbs it just feels silly.

6 hours ago, Liam Outdoors 89 said:

Hey Dan

The only Instruction is to NOT bring a saw that has a larger guide bar length than 15"s.

But surely they're not going to chuck you off the course if your bar is 16"s.

I'm looking at the 241 now..... I'm currently proper skint, but for what I need around our place it looks good.

I seem to remember turning up with a 254XP with an 18" bar ( might have been a 266 ) anyway he said its too long but **************** it carry on !

Yeah good point

I'm doing it at Scott Frasers Tonbridge, Flexi tree surgeon course. I know they supply all of the climbing kit just not sure on saws, any way slightly off topic.

I'm really debating to get a 241 just chuck it on 0% credit card a d pay it off slowly. As the other saw I own is a 400 with a 20" bar which is great but it's little heavy to use all day and on smaller limbs it just feels silly.

I guess it depends what you think you're going to do longer term, might not be much point buying more saws if you go and work for a firm.

Otherwise I can see that 241, 400 would be a nice pair of saws for felling work. If you go into climbing then you may not use the 241 much though, probably you would go from a 201 straight up to the 400.

Other idea would be buy a 16" Sugi ProLam bar for the 400, that would cut really fast, maybe 8 tooth sprocket. Lot less load on the credit card.

Problem is the best saw depends on what you are doing, that's why there is no right answer for everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

Any one who's still interested in this thread HA......

I sold the 181 with spare bars & chains for £100.00 through facebook Market Place, sold and picked up in less than 12hrs.

So I'm currently going through our home/garage and literally selling any thing we don't need/use any more.

Raised about £400 quid so far, it's slightly become addictive!

Any way cheers for the help Lads, saving up for the MS241!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I bought a 181c chainsaw years back, (new), it was a replacement for another make, always had a starting problem, but this was never used until now, and fuelled up, but would not start, until some put in the cylinder, then it started worked well for a short whole and fine, then with any load it cuts outs, seemly starved of fuel.  On looking on the web - others have this problem. This machine only has 2 control settings that it will switch to - 0 off and open choke/ run, assume an auto choke, also no petrol tickle bulb, etc. Have not tried altering carb settings H L LA so far. I will restart when hot, first pull. Spark plug ok etc. So so much for a new machine cannot blame the carb. Forgot to add - can give suggestion as to.help. Diddums

Edited by Diddums
Forgot to ask for help on the problem