Stihl MS181 (not pro I know..)

Liam Outdoors 89

1 hour ago, Mother Theresa said:

Though no stranger to the foil, not on this occasion.

1 hour ago, Mother Theresa said:

Though no stranger to the foil, not on this occasion.

Touche ! ?    Just the pedant in me but its a chain or the cutters rather than a blade ?

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Update ladies & gents.

Carb came through the post chucked it straight in. Didn't touch adjustment screws started 1st pull on choke. 2nd pull on 'on' it started. High idle turned it down perfect.

Day 1 - for half a tank of fuel run fine.

Day 2 - 3 tanks of fuel over 4hrs, not hard continues use. Near the end of each tank it started boggin and cutting out, moved fuel line in tank improved issue.

Day 3 issues started....

Really high idle, adjustment slows it down then creeps up again. Saw just starts ragging it's arse off for no-reason.

I'm now thinking fuel line & fuel filter.

I'm just being a tight arse but I'm still reluctant to throw money at a low end saw. I'm not using for work purposes just looking after our woods where we live. But I've also got my CS30&31 in September and I'd like to use my own saw for that.

Shall I just get a new fuel line & filter and go from there?

Cheers guys [emoji38]

40 minutes ago, Liam Outdoors 89 said:

Day 3 issues started....

Really high idle, adjustment slows it down then creeps up again. Saw just starts ragging it's arse off for no-reason.

So either the idle screw is winding itself in (while you are running the saw away from idle) or you've got an air leak so the throttle can't restrict the amount or air / fuel into the engine. The latter will cause engine to seize if not attended to. 

Edited by bmp01

Just a thought, I'm not sure on anybody else's experience but I would think a MS181 is a bit small for doing CS30/31. Maybe the training centre will loan you a saw?
Hey Dan

The only Instruction is to NOT bring a saw that has a larger guide bar length than 15"s.

But surely they're not going to chuck you off the course if your bar is 16"s.

I'm looking at the 241 now..... I'm currently proper skint, but for what I need around our place it looks good.

Hey Dan

The only Instruction is to NOT bring a saw that has a larger guide bar length than 15"s.

But surely they're not going to chuck you off the course if your bar is 16"s.

I'm looking at the 241 now..... I'm currently proper skint, but for what I need around our place it looks good.
I did the course with a 16" 261 so it is possible but then Stihl didn't use to do a 15" bar for them so I think there is some discretion. One of the chaps on mine turned up with a 181, the training centre lent him a saw.

I have no idea who you are training with, but I would always say it's worth chatting to them beforehand as better to get questions sorted out before it's too late to do anything about it.

I was also thinking if the centre can lend you something then it takes the pressure off fixing this one.