Stihl MS181 (not pro I know..)

Liam Outdoors 89

I have had a few after market Chinese carbs come through fitted to MS200Ts and all have been absolute crap. They are near impossible to adjust and hyper sensitive in adjustment. I have given up on all of them and fitted a refurb OEM carb on all of them.

Some are OK but these MS200 ones are pants!

Zama are in fact Chinese but manufactured to a specification.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Heavy Oil Saw said:

Zama are owned by Stihl, I thought?@spudulike, glad you’ve had problems with them to.

Think they are now but even before that you could find Zama carbs on both Stihl and Husqvarna . I seem to remember the very early Husky 365 had a Zama carb .

I've got a 181 and always been like that from new, nightmare to get going and keeps dying when cold, but not too bad once its warmed up.  I've mentioned it to a friend who had a stihl dealership, and someone else in the forestry game who's used them, seems to be quite normal even with a new machine with the small engined/domestic stihl engines...  

45 minutes ago, Mother Theresa said:

If you’re in South Suffolk on your travels I have a dead 181 (scored piston and cylinder) which you can have for a small fee. Was working fine until it suddenly wasn’t so carb was fine.

Unfortunately I'm based in North Kent....... thanks for the offer though. Bought a cheap Chinese carb see if that works. Been using it to day for an hour, just bogged out half way whilst cutting through a 4inch branch.....