Stihl MS181 (not pro I know..)

Liam Outdoors 89

Hello Everyone

I've inherited an MS181 Iv'e had it for about 18months. It was probably sat for 6months before I managed to get it going.

I've replaced the air filter, Spark plug, fuel filter and it runs ok. But from cold it always only ever starts on half choke no matter the weather and soon as you touch the throttle it just bogs and dies.

It's ok when it warm up but as soon as you pull full throttle it bogs & dies. I've cleaned the Carb out about 4 times adjusted the High, Low and idle screws and same effect.

The next option is new Carb Kit for diaphram etc and then potentially a new carb. A new is carb is about £60.... I know its not much in the grand scheme of things but this saw might be 7 years old and I have no idea if it was looked after before and a new 181 is £250.00.

I'm looking at a new potential Top handle for the future MS150/194 or 201.

Is it worth spending the extra money on the 181? or just scrapping it and given up on it?

Any help appreciated.

Take it easy

Liam

7 minutes ago, DCS6800i said:

Not everything made in China is scrap

No, although they just copy a good design. But it does highlight how the likes of Stihl rip folk off with the prices of their genuine stuff. If there was a happy medium Id more than happily buy the Stihl one. 

I bought a MS171 carb (think it is similar as 181?), from China, paid £10 odd, and it was junk, either the butterfly or throat is out of round and it doesn’t open fully. With Stihl you get the price and Quality Control, with China you get a cheap price but little to no QC. We need a seller who has a little of both from China, decent parts, decent price.
I hear both sides of the story with tools, ratchets that last, some fail before even being turned, all manner of tools.
Pay your money, take your chance. If you want the saw, go Stihl or equivalent, maybe a rebuild kit for £20, if not, then go After Market.

35 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

No, although they just copy a good design. But it does highlight how the likes of Stihl rip folk off with the prices of their genuine stuff. If there was a happy medium Id more than happily buy the Stihl one. 

I think the " genuine " ones are made in China anyway .

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

2 minutes ago, Heavy Oil Saw said:

I bought a MS171 carb (think it is similar as 181?), from China, paid £10 odd, and it was junk, either the butterfly or throat is out of round and it doesn’t open fully. With Stihl you get the price and Quality Control, with China you get a cheap price but little to no QC. We need a seller who has a little of both from China, decent parts, decent price.
I hear both sides of the story with tools, ratchets that last, some fail before even being turned, all manner of tools.
Pay your money, take your chance. If you want the saw, go Stihl or equivalent, maybe a rebuild kit for £20, if not, then go After Market.

Stihl are making a lot of stuff in China themselves these days. 

Your Apple i-Whatevers are all made there...

Alot of old UK toolings are out there making the stuff we used to before govt saw fit to run this country down. 

I agree the Quality Control can be a bit hit or miss. But, hell, it was next to non-existent here sometimes! China will make whatever the customer wants - and more importantly they will make it to whatever standard the customer wants, too.

I've got a Chinese chainsaw - I was beyond careful with it at the start for fear it'd fall to bits and be junk. But I'm over that and now I treat it like all my other kit. Its great. 

13 minutes ago, Heavy Oil Saw said:

At a tenner its worth a punt. And of its junk you get a replacement or your money back. Its a no-brainer on a saw you're happy to give up for dead.