Ecological impact of covid lockdown

steve@black

14 hours ago, Xiucutil said:

Very true, most people couldn't tell the difference especially with a bit of batter or sauce round it. It's a shame people don't buy much of the cheaper white fish like whiting and pouting, they are delicious and cost next to nothing.

Where do you find such fish to buy? Would I have to go to the Fish Mongers or do Tesco's sell them? Maybe re-branded as something else?

I'm all for supporting my local Fishmongers but in my town we have to drive 45 minutes to get to the coast and the Fishmonger doubles up as a Poultrier. (Is that even a word? :D ) He plucks all the game birds for the estates around us and I drop a few Chickens and ducks off to him through the year. So his fish selection leaves a lot to be desired. 

14 hours ago, Xiucutil said:

I have been out a couple of times and not seen another boat all day which is quite odd and disconcerting and not very safe.

I run a 30' Cygnus Cyclone single handed from Dartmouth.

I used to fell/extract timber out of the woods. Sometimes alone with no mobile signal. Being a primary producer is important. Stay safe. ? (I got a question about fishing which  you might know something about. I'll put on another thread as dont want to de-rail this)

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Sutton said:

Being a primary producer is important

This is why I got into forestry but lord knows why I ended up in arb, a service industry to the wealthy.

We saw a lot of toolmakers and industrial machine operators come into the forestryas primary industry got sidelined in the 70s. A poor traded for people highly skilled, time served to a job which is semi skilled at best.

5 hours ago, openspaceman said:

We saw a lot of toolmakers and industrial machine operators come into the forestryas primary industry got sidelined in the 70s. A poor traded for people highly skilled, time served to a job which is semi skilled at best.

That was me . Time served tool maker/saw wielder .

5 hours ago, openspaceman said:

This is why I got into forestry

Arbtalk has huge value for its living technical knowledge. And free too. I put our cranab up for sale last year or so and a forester came up from one of the estates for a look see. He claimed that old cranes are more fixable/repairable than modern ones. Different quality steels, thicknessness etc, he said. It's had a few welds etc. Phil Cooper said he'd almost certainly would have converted the forwarder it came off from manual levers to electro-joystick. Even old machines have a history

Edited by Sutton
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Alex O said:

Haha, I was amazed of the amount of homeless people and drug dealers in Torquay. Was far worse there than Exeter and Plymouth. I lived in Plymouth for 16yrs and really liked living there as I spent a lot of it up on Dartmoor cycling and walking and working, was much better than Northampton where I was originally from.

Indeed. Northampton is still a shit hole in spite of the exhorbitant house building out to J16  which in some ways might make it attractive to London commuters, but doesnt. K

• Like 1

Indeed. Northampton is still a shit hole in spite of the exhorbitant house building out to J16  which in some ways might make it attractive to London commuters, but doesnt. K

Sure is K, we lived just off j16 towards Daventry and the guy I worked for back then was in Banbury , I’m just glad I moved out when I did.
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, HuntingHicap said:

South Hams is probably one of the most beautiful parts of the country, sounds an idyllic existance! Admittedly Salcombe is a bit like Surrey on sea, I used to live round the corner in Torbay for 10 years.

You are right, I know I am lucky to live here it's a beautiful area. From the top of my road you can see clear across Start Bay to Start Point. Particularly beautiful today, got to sea and got back without breaking anything, perfect weather and caught a nice lot of crab, first wage I've learnt since the beginning of March.

I am from over the river myself, brought up in Galmpton, nearly Torbay.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

Where do you find such fish to buy? Would I have to go to the Fish Mongers or do Tesco's sell them? Maybe re-branded as something else?

You might find whiting in Tesco but your best bet is a fishmonger. You would probably have to ask them to get it in for you, there is so much fish caught in this country which isn't widely eaten so there isn't great demand. 100 per cent of the spider crabs I catch are exported as there is no demand here which is a shame as the meat is delicious.

Had spider claws and cuttlefish for dinner, caught today. I know I'm spoilt?.

• Like 4

You might find whiting in Tesco but your best bet is a fishmonger. You would probably have to ask them to get it in for you, there is so much fish caught in this country which isn't widely eaten so there isn't great demand. 100 per cent of the spider crabs I catch are exported as there is no demand here which is a shame as the meat is delicious.
Had spider claws and cuttlefish for dinner, caught today. I know I'm spoilt[emoji16].

If I was ever near Brixham I would go and see the daily catches, can’t beat fresh from the sea.
  • Like 1