Ecological impact of covid lockdown

steve@black

When the lockdown first came in fish sales and prices hit the floor but they have steadily came back up again, not to their usual level but as I said before the low fuel price has offset this for the beam trawlers that burn loads of fuel.

Interestingly the price of the prime fish ( sole, turbot, bass) are low but the lower value fish ( pollack, plaice, whiting) have held up so hopefully this may signal a change in the eating habits of the British public and they will realise there is a wealth of really good cheaper fish on their doorstep and not so much will be exported to the continent.

I just checked Marinetraffic again and I don't think I've seen so many fishing boats out, all the big trawlers from Brixham,Plymouth and Newlyn are at sea. All except me in my little boat. Got up at 4 o clock to go spider crabbing after being tied up for weeks due to strong onshore easterly winds, picked up the first set of gear, got it up alongside can see a nice bit of crab in it thinking at last here we go, glanced in the wheelhouse to be welcomed by the lovely sight of a split hydraulic hose emptying the tank on to the floor. Had to drop the gear away and steam in for repairs without even getting a crab on board.

One day my luck will change...

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

thanks for the industry insight , media only reports when bad things happen !!  Good to hear the industry is up and running again ..  however I have little doubt that less fish have been caught and landed in the past few months than normal .  Where do you fish out of ?

7 hours ago, Xiucutil said:

When the lockdown first came in fish sales and prices hit the floor but they have steadily came back up again, not to their usual level but as I said before the low fuel price has offset this for the beam trawlers that burn loads of fuel.

Interestingly the price of the prime fish ( sole, turbot, bass) are low but the lower value fish ( pollack, plaice, whiting) have held up so hopefully this may signal a change in the eating habits of the British public and they will realise there is a wealth of really good cheaper fish on their doorstep and not so much will be exported to the continent.

I just checked Marinetraffic again and I don't think I've seen so many fishing boats out, all the big trawlers from Brixham,Plymouth and Newlyn are at sea. All except me in my little boat. Got up at 4 o clock to go spider crabbing after being tied up for weeks due to strong onshore easterly winds, picked up the first set of gear, got it up alongside can see a nice bit of crab in it thinking at last here we go, glanced in the wheelhouse to be welcomed by the lovely sight of a split hydraulic hose emptying the tank on to the floor. Had to drop the gear away and steam in for repairs without even getting a crab on board.

One day my luck will change...

To be honest when I did a bit of wreck fishing I could not tell much difference between the taste of Cod , Ling , Pollack or Conger . All white fish .

1 hour ago, devon TWiG said:

thanks for the industry insight , media only reports when bad things happen !!  Good to hear the industry is up and running again ..  however I have little doubt that less fish have been caught and landed in the past few months than normal .  Where do you fish out of ?

You are right, less fish has been landed. A lot of the smaller boats haven't been going so much due to the uncertainty and general strangeness of the times. I have been out a couple of times and not seen another boat all day which is quite odd and disconcerting and not very safe.

I run a 30' Cygnus Cyclone single handed from Dartmouth. Spiders now until August, tangle netting for soles in the summer, red mullet and a bit of line fishing for bass and pollack in autumn, potting for prawns and concentrate on the oyster farming in the winter and spring. Used to do a lot of ray netting but the price of them has been very poor for the last couple of years and I can't bring myself to kill beautiful big blondies for next to nothing so I don't do it any more.

I used to skipper big crabbers in the channel and for ten years off the Orkneys and Hebrides. Bought my own boat 20 years ago and have been poor ever since!

I also do this which is why I am here.88B7B8E1-6EEF-4510-B47A-F25AB1196C71.thumb.jpeg.3a503b4fc7637473529524291fec732a.jpeg

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Stubby said:

To be honest when I did a bit of wreck fishing I could not tell much difference between the taste of Cod , Ling , Pollack or Conger . All white fish .

Very true, most people couldn't tell the difference especially with a bit of batter or sauce round it. It's a shame people don't buy much of the cheaper white fish like whiting and pouting, they are delicious and cost next to nothing.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Xiucutil said:

You are right, less fish has been landed. A lot of the smaller boats haven't been going so much due to the uncertainty and general strangeness of the times. I have been out a couple of times and not seen another boat all day which is quite odd and disconcerting and not very safe.

I run a 30' Cygnus Cyclone single handed from Dartmouth. Spiders now until August, tangle netting for soles in the summer, red mullet and a bit of line fishing for bass and pollack in autumn, potting for prawns and concentrate on the oyster farming in the winter and spring. Used to do a lot of ray netting but the price of them has been very poor for the last couple of years and I can't bring myself to kill beautiful big blondies for next to nothing so I don't do it any more.

I used to skipper big crabbers in the channel and for ten years off the Orkneys and Hebrides. Bought my own boat 20 years ago and have been poor ever since!

I also do this which is why I am here.88B7B8E1-6EEF-4510-B47A-F25AB1196C71.thumb.jpeg.3a503b4fc7637473529524291fec732a.jpeg

South Hams is probably one of the most beautiful parts of the country, sounds an idyllic existance! Admittedly Salcombe is a bit like Surrey on sea, I used to live round the corner in Torbay for 10 years.

South Hams is probably one of the most beautiful parts of the country, sounds an idyllic existance! Admittedly Salcombe is a bit like Surrey on sea, I used to live round the corner in Torbay for 10 years.

Ahhh the English riviera, many years back the company I worked for, we had the Torbay and Exeter contracts so I got to see some nasty stuff. As you say the South Hams is stunning just a bit of a nightmare to work in at times

19 minutes ago, Alex O said:

Ahhh the English riviera, many years back the company I worked for, we had the Torbay and Exeter contracts so I got to see some nasty stuff. As you say the South Hams is stunning just a bit of a nightmare to work in at times

Nasty stuff? In Devon? ??

• Like 1

Nasty stuff? In Devon? [emoji44][emoji23]

Haha, I was amazed of the amount of homeless people and drug dealers in Torquay. Was far worse there than Exeter and Plymouth. I lived in Plymouth for 16yrs and really liked living there as I spent a lot of it up on Dartmoor cycling and walking and working, was much better than Northampton where I was originally from.