Lockdown - has it totally failed?

Squaredy

I don't think you can really compare one country to another as they aren't reporting covid deaths in the same manner. 

A lot of infections and deaths in the UK have been in care homes, 50% I think I read, not sure how that compares to Sweden. 

Fair enough then it has not totally failed. 

Certainly not been a spectacular success though.  As far as I can see the UK is doing just about as bad as any country in the world in terms of deaths per capita.  Let's see what happens as we ease the lockdown.

29 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

Fair enough then it has not totally failed. 

Certainly not been a spectacular success though.  As far as I can see the UK is doing just about as bad as any country in the world in terms of deaths per capita.  Let's see what happens as we ease the lockdown.

China is doing quite well with 3 deaths per million........

Will be interesting to see what happens within the next few weeks looking at germany, Italy france etc who have came out of lockdown. 

The lockdown was necessary but there were mistakes.

Like the Tories bought £20mil of maleria medicine from the US (now thought materially ineffective) possibly as a placating gift in the US-UK trade talks. Got to be worse than Gordon Brown's selling off the nation's gold reserves.

One rule for being a tory is 'Never do anything for the first time.' Their mistake is still using Blair as a model: inconsistent press releases to keep all factions together as each believes their needs are being answered. But no one is satisfied. The world has changed. Blair's style of media psuedo-manipulating hootchy kootchy is irrelevant.

As Hiphop used to say "Gotta keep it real."

If you're a politician and you think being popular=>success then you'll never win against C-19

18 minutes ago, Sutton said:

Like the Tories bought £20mil of maleria medicine from the US (now thought materially ineffective) possibly as a placating gift in the US-UK trade talks. Got to be worse than Gordon Brown's selling off the nation's gold reserves.

Are you for real?

£20m in medicine that might have worked, because currently nothing has been proven to. Its called hedging your bets. Trying to get ahead of the game. Sounds like you'd be the first Ball Bag moaning if the 'Malaria Drug' worked and they had not ordered any. Half of Europe, and the UK, had bought crap from Turkey and China that has proven to be worthless and unusable. Comparing this situation to the cold, hard calculation to sell off the British Gold Reserves, and not just sell them off but to advertise the fact and crash the market before hand is simply asinine and clearly your political ignorance shining through. Brown Sold this Gold at $275 an OZ and this generated £3.5B. Thats 3.5B at rock bottom give away prices. Its now trading at $1750 an OZ. You comparison is simply staggering in its ineptitude. 

The rest of your post was pure drivel, its not even worth remarking on. To be considered a greater degree of drivel that the first paragraph is astounding in itself. 

Well done for finding the bottom of the Barrel for today. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Are you for real?

Well done for finding the bottom of the Barrel for today. 

Thought that wake you up!

Your opinion is your own - just as mine is mine.

Try not confuse yours with what's best for everyone else's.

I was comparing tory incompetence with labour's misjudgment in the context of a tragic crisis.

If you can't see that. No worries. Let it lie

• Haha 1

Just now, Sutton said:

Thought that wake you up!

Your opinion is your own - just as mine is mine.

Try not confuse yours with what's best for everyone else's.

I was comparing tory incompetence with labour's misjudgment in the context of a tragic crisis.

If you can't see that. No worries. Let it lie

Not gonna find me napping. :D 

My opinion is based in facts and figure's, yours seems to be based in emotion. Are you on your period? 

Your attempt to try and compare Tory and Labour incompetence just showed up your own and nothing else. Maybe you'd like to be reminded of the Labour note left to the Tories when they said there is no money left? Because selling the whole nations Gold was the biggest financial blunder in modern times.  Thats if you actually see it as a blunder and not a cynical ploy to crash the £ and force the UK into joining the Euro. 

If you cant see what an absolute arse you've made of this comparison then maybe you should not be trying to wake and the best recourse is for you to keep on dreaming. :) 

• Like 1