Lockdown - has it totally failed?

Squaredy

8 minutes ago, Mesterh said:

Forgive my ignorance but what is the deal with the powers to be having control in this situation?

This is Shirly the worst kind of control they could have.

Shirly governments want us to go to work, earn as much as we can (to get taxed on it) then get out and about spending our hard earned so they can claim some more tax back on the sales.

How sitting at home getting paid from the government  while not  spending money is considered as control baffles me.

I dont get it, enlighten me people.

Who is this Shirly person of whom you speak?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Mesterh said:

I know there is a lot of talk about herd immunity but does it work or even exist?

Where is our herd immunity against the flu, common cold etc. Is it a made up term to give us hope?

We do have herd immunity to most of the diseases  we are inoculated against, such as measles. It works by the majority being vaccinated, this protects those who cannot be vaccinated (due to health issues) and those who's inoculation fails, by preventing there from being a sufficient pool of infection for it to spread freely. When some stop having their children vaccinated, the numbers of the unprotected grow and this leads outbreaks of the disease.

The problem with flue is it mutates each year, so our previous immunity no longer works. Each year the experts try to decide which new stain is most dangerous/virulent and make a vaccine for it. Hence the annual flue jab.

• Like 4

Trouble with covid is its unknown atm if immunity once obtained, by either getting infected, or  by getting a vacine, how long that immunity  will last.

The new coronavirus has not been around long enough to know how long immunity lasts. But there are six other human coronaviruses that can give a clue.

Four produce the symptoms of the common cold and immunity is short-lived. One Study shows some patients could be re-infected within a year.

“The question is not whether you become immune, it’s how long for. It almost certainly will not last for life” said Prof Paul Hunter, a professor in medicine at the University of East Anglia.

Serveral  of the current flu viruses are endemic corona type viruses this is the latest "novel" or new one.