Lockdown - has it totally failed?

Squaredy

7 hours ago, Mr. Squirrel said:

Since you've used that example, are you therefore of the opinion that Western countries should shoulder less responsibility for slavery, as they were just buying what was being sold? 

No not at all.  Most Empires and societies these day have blood on their hands in some way or another.  Look at the Belgians and the Congo.  The British Empire were equally as bad in a way.  

What about the barbary slave trade. Or the ottomans. Or the Vikings. Or the Soviet union with the gulag. Or mongols with well everyone. Or Mauritania only making it illegal in the 80s I think. Though they still do it. 
Should we still be angry at them. At least Europeans acknowledge the past wrongdoings. Cant see the algerians repenting for enslaving the cornish.

Slavery is human history. Noone alive today has been a slave or has owned a slave in england. And if white brits are told they have benefited from it then surely black British of the same age has. They're is no "systemic racism". Yes there are racists. But not to the degree the media would like you to believe.  

Remember the British empire didn't start slavery but it did try to end it. At a great cost financially and of the lives of the men aboard the ships of the Atlantic 7. Look up the Atlantic 7 they don't teach kids that in school 

I read somewhere recently that there are more slaves in the UK now than there were in the 18th C.
Modern slavery is widespread..
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Mark J said:

You should see the plight of the North East mate.
Replace Sturgeon with Johnson and we're on the same page.

Lockdown up here is still in place Mark whilst the actual numbers ref death due to the virus are at zero or single figures, hospitals are virtually empty. Boris in your eyes may be the devil but at least he’s trying to get things moving Sturgeon on the other hand is hanging onto the power this gives her and resisting at all costs the pleas from businesses, parents and the  soon to be redundant  etc etc. All in this misguided bullshit quest to save the NHS etc. To be honest it’s becoming quite embarrassing to watch her still telling people to stick with it and how she sympathises and understands  !!! No Kids, No fear of redundancy, No fear of losing a business or home !!’ She understand bugger all.  

Edited by Johnsond
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Johnsond said:

Lockdown up here is still in place Mark whilst the actual numbers ref death due to the virus are at zero or single figures, hospitals are virtually empty. Boris in your eyes may be the devil but at least he’s trying to get things moving Sturgeon on the other hand is hanging onto the power this gives her and resisting at all costs the pleas from businesses, parents and the  soon to be redundant  etc etc. All in this misguided bullshit quest to save the NHS etc. To be honest it’s becoming quite embarrassing to watch her still telling people to stick with it and how she sympathises after  understands  !!! No Kids, No fear of redundancy, No fear of losing a business or home !!’ She understand bugger all.  

"Lockdown up here is still in place Mark whilst the actual numbers ref death due to the virus are at zero or single figures"
It seems to be working.
Johnson is only trying to kick start things because he's massively cocked up the response to the outbreak. I realise you're happy with the idea of going back to work, I think we all are, but I'd rather have an elderly family member that has lived a bit longer than have a few extra quid in my pocket.

A no deal brexit is going to hammer us anyway, we might as well spend some time with our loved ones.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Mark J said:

"Lockdown up here is still in place Mark whilst the actual numbers ref death due to the virus are at zero or single figures"
It seems to be working.
Johnson is only trying to kick start things because he's massively cocked up the response to the outbreak. I realise you're happy with the idea of going back to work, I think we all are, but I'd rather have an elderly family member that has lived a bit longer than have a few extra quid in my pocket.

A no deal brexit is going to hammer us anyway, we might as well spend some time with our loved ones.

There is a huge huge difference between having a few quid in your pocket and losing your job and possibly home . Many old people are well fed up of being treat like fools and are just as ready to get in with things as the young are. The truth will come out ref this virus then we can all judge. But for now the economic crash which I presume has not affected you too bad by the Comments you make will be a disaster. 
As for Boris any sane person knows you have to get things moving it’s just impossible to stay like this !! Mi d you I do think a good proportion of people in safe jobs are happy to keep things as they are until it’s safe safe safe 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TIMON said:

I read somewhere recently that there are more slaves in the UK now than there were in the 18th C.
Modern slavery is widespread..

A valid and fair point.

In fact the biggest slavery ring busted in modern times was in the uk. So I guess I chose my words wrong. It was eastern European criminal gangs exploiting other homeless eastern Europeans though.  

And there was obviously that Irish lorry with the poor vietnamese recently. 

My point is the cultural zeitgeist finds slavery abhorrent and quote rightly. 

And that everyone has enslaved everyone at some point so how far back do we go?

Maybe this is for a whole other thread. 

5 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

There is a huge huge difference between having a few quid in your pocket and losing your job and possibly home . Many old people are well fed up of being treat like fools and are just as ready to get in with things as the young are. The truth will come out ref this virus then we can all judge. But for now the economic crash which I presume has not affected you too bad by the Comments you make will be a disaster. 
As for Boris any sane person knows you have to get things moving it’s just impossible to stay like this !! Mi d you I do think a good proportion of people in safe jobs are happy to keep things as they are until it’s safe safe safe 

I've been on the bones of my arse and I've had the wolves at my door more than once, so I empathise with your situation.

There seems to be long lasting effects from the damage Covid does. I had something similar at the beginning of March (I'll find out if I've had it in two weeks when antibody tests become available to the general public). My lungs are still bad from it and my eyeball is bloodshot from the coughing I had. I'm reasonably fit, 43 years old. There are going to be long term repercussions from this.

I have suffered massively in terms of coin. I was about to launch the greatest tree surveying company there has ever been. That's all on the back burner for now.

If I have to, I'll get a proper job.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Mark J said:

I've been on the bones of my arse and I've had the wolves at my door more than once, so I empathise with your situation.

There seems to be long lasting effects from the damage Covid does. I had something similar at the beginning of March (I'll find out if I've had it in two weeks when antibody tests become available to the general public). My lungs are still bad from it and my eyeball is bloodshot from the coughing I had. I'm reasonably fit, 43 years old. There are going to be long term repercussions from this.

I have suffered massively in terms of coin. I was about to launch the greatest tree surveying company there has ever been.....

I have the best tree surveying company that has ever been   ?  K

• Haha 1

The economic fallout of this will be felt for decades, never mind the personal loss. I really have no answers ( put yr money in Forestry )  for current business models, we are loosing money hand over fist and not alone in that. K

• Like 1