Lockdown - has it totally failed?

Squaredy

10 hours ago, Rich Rule said:

I get your point but it is still racism.

I was once threatened outside my own home in London when I refused to give a guy some money as I was in the car.  I pulled up and he asked if I lived there and if so go in a get some money for him...  He was collecting for cancer research.

When I asked him why I should give him some money after the way he spoke, he said my people has enslaved his and I deserved to pay.

I told him to F off.  Did I look like I had made millions from the slave trade.  If I had been born to my family during the slave trade, as a working class North Easterner I would have probably been sold as a sweep or put in the work house.  

That is a type of slavery.

I also posed the question who had actually sold his people to the slavers?  Yes, that's right other members of your race.

I understand where you're coming from, but you've not given examples of racism. That guy sound like a prick, but there's an enormous difference between someone being unkind to you and living your entire life at a disadvantage because of your skin colour. Racism is more than these incidents you've mentioned, it's this power and oppression that's normalised in society. No matter how unkind someone is to you because you're white, they still won't have the same power. 

Since you've used that example, are you therefore of the opinion that Western countries should shoulder less responsibility for slavery, as they were just buying what was being sold? 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Mr. Squirrel said:

I understand where you're coming from, but you've not given examples of racism. That guy sound like a prick, but there's an enormous difference between someone being unkind to you and living your entire life at a disadvantage because of your skin colour. Racism is more than these incidents you've mentioned, it's this power and oppression that's normalised in society. No matter how unkind someone is to you because you're white, they still won't have the same power. 

Since you've used that example, are you therefore of the opinion that Western countries should shoulder less responsibility for slavery, as they were just buying what was being sold? 

What about the barbary slave trade. Or the ottomans. Or the Vikings. Or the Soviet union with the gulag. Or mongols with well everyone. Or Mauritania only making it illegal in the 80s I think. Though they still do it. 

Should we still be angry at them. At least Europeans acknowledge the past wrongdoings. Cant see the algerians repenting for enslaving the cornish.

Slavery is human history. Noone alive today has been a slave or has owned a slave in england. And if white brits are told they have benefited from it then surely black British of the same age has. They're is no "systemic racism". Yes there are racists. But not to the degree the media would like you to believe.  

Remember the British empire didn't start slavery but it did try to end it. At a great cost financially and of the lives of the men aboard the ships of the Atlantic 7. Look up the Atlantic 7 they don't teach kids that in school 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

What about them ? That is history. We have the UN Convention on Human Rights  now.  In 21 century abt time We started enacting it properly. In fact as a document it couldn't be easier to understand.  (  also point out the US is not a signatory to it. ........ )  K

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

Now why doesn't that surprise me

Basically US Congress is the final say in the US, but the UNHRC was drafted after WWII by US lawyers oddly..... K

Edited by Khriss
( Obvs you need to keep yr options open when yr torturing foreigners or kneeling on black guys)

13 hours ago, Big J said:

Top UK scientist says that if lockdown had been implemented 1 week earlier, the death toll would have been halved

J that wouldn’t be Ferguson by any chance would it ???. Quite frankly there will be so many people wise with the benefit of hindsight that it’s not worth talking about. His track record is not great to say the least. Regarding the management of the so called media hype driven Covid crisis ?‍♂️. Governments are under microscopic scrutiny for every single move they make. Unfortunately they are not gonna please all the people all the time. The destruction of the economy will soon be a far worse threat than Covid ever was. 
Anyway the media have now moved on to driving the BLM hysteria, streets to be renamed, statues removed and history rewritten. 

20 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

J that wouldn’t be Ferguson by any chance would it ???. Quite frankly there will be so many people wise with the benefit of hindsight that it’s not worth talking about. His track record is not great to say the least. Regarding the management of the so called media hype driven Covid crisis ?‍♂️. Governments are under microscopic scrutiny for every single move they make. Unfortunately they are not gonna please all the people all the time. The destruction of the economy will soon be a far worse threat than Covid ever was. 
Anyway the media have now moved on to driving the BLM hysteria, streets to be renamed, statues removed and history rewritten. 

The government have handled things as well as could have been expected.
The data was there before the lockdown was implimented over here. You don't need to be a scientist to realise that the government has caused thousands of people to die 'before their time'.