Lockdown - has it totally failed?

Squaredy

On 31/05/2020 at 23:18, Jack.P said:

Strange encounter tonight at local fried chicken takeout .

a security man stands at the door opening and closing the door but in order to get into shop you have to walk past him probably within 1m 

that is potentially a breeding ground for the virus.will be complaining to head office tmr

Can go one better than that. Local hospital now has a 'greeter' at the door to ensure that enyone entering disinfects their hands. Problem is, this staff member who comes into close contact with every member of the public who enters doesn't wear a mask.

Most of the staff in the hallways are unmasked.

While I was an impatient, at the height of the epidemic, in a single room due to being immuno suppressed (chemotherapy) and thought to be suffering with an airborne contagious virus had to ask why a couple of support staff had entered without any PPE at all. "Too hot and uncomfortable" was the reply. 

It's getting to the stage now where it's difficult to work out what we are supposed to be doing and businesses and organisations are interpretting things in different ways.

1 hour ago, Rich Rule said:

What an ignorant thing to say...

Tell that to my friend who was hospitalised after getting the shite smashed out of him walking home through east London in the early hours.

It may not be as prominent as the other way around, but to say it doesn’t exist isn’t entirely true.

As shitty as that is, even if it was a racially aggravated attack, it still isn't the same.

A white person can be mistreated by a person of colour, but that's very different to the systematic and institutionalised mistreatment of an entire race. There isn't the same dynamic of oppression against white people in Britain, and so there will never be the same power. Which is what racism is, it's power over another person or persons because of your skin colour. 

So I'm not saying what happened to your friend wasn't racially aggravated, but there's quite a large difference between experiencing that as an incident and being marginalised your entire life.

UK predicted to have the largest economic contraction of any developed nation.

Top UK scientist says that if lockdown had been implemented 1 week earlier, the death toll would have been halved.

Boris Johnson's governement has the lowest approval rating of any western government for it's handling of covid 19.

UKs death toll, when judged by excess deaths rather than those attributed to covid 19, is the highest in the developed world

UKs official death toll is second only to the US, though Brazil will take that dubious honour from us in short time.

The issues are complex and multifaceted. Our lockdown came late, after an abrupt government U-turn. It was far too strict in some areas, far too lax in others. It's been relaxed inconsistently, and illogically. It's been ignored by top government officials. We're still largely unable to send our kids to school, but it's OK for them to go to the zoo. We've failed to properly shield our elderly and vulnerable, but imposed brutal economic sanctions on millions of working age people for whom covid-19 represents a minimal risk.

The words 'piss-up in a brewery' and 'couldn't organise one' spring to mind. 

Also, what the hell is wrong with people in the UK when it comes to trashing beauty spots post lockdown relaxation? It's f*cking disgusting. This following is pulled from the Scottish Wild Swimming page I'm a member of:

So I have spent the last 2 days clearing litter from an undisclosed beautiful wild swimming spot in Northumberland. I got there 7am yesterday morning for a swim and the entire place was covered in glass, plastic, balloons, discarded raw food and human waste.

I had my swim and spent the morning, along with a few others, clearing 25 bin bags of rubbish. Whilst we were there 100s more people were heading down with bags of food and drink to party all over again. So we headed back last night and cleared another 20 bin bags full of rubbish and what must have been over 500 cigarette butts, 200 laughing gas canisters and countless empty bags of drugs.

Image may contain: one or more people, outdoor, nature and water

Image may contain: tree, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: outdoor, nature and water

Image may contain: 1 person, car, shoes and outdoor

• Sad 1

I get your point but it is still racism.

I was once threatened outside my own home in London when I refused to give a guy some money as I was in the car.  I pulled up and he asked if I lived there and if so go in a get some money for him...  He was collecting for cancer research.

When I asked him why I should give him some money after the way he spoke, he said my people has enslaved his and I deserved to pay.

I told him to F off.  Did I look like I had made millions from the slave trade.  If I had been born to my family during the slave trade, as a working class North Easterner I would have probably been sold as a sweep or put in the work house.  

That is a type of slavery.

I also posed the question who had actually sold his people to the slavers?  Yes, that's right other members of your race.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Rich Rule said:

I get your point but it is still racism.

I was once threatened outside my own home in London when I refused to give a guy some money as I was in the car.  I pulled up and he asked if I lived there and if so go in a get some money for him...  He was collecting for cancer research.

When I asked him why I should give him some money after the way he spoke, he said my people has enslaved his and I deserved to pay.

I told him to F off.  Did I look like I had made millions from the slave trade.  If I had been born to my family during the slave trade, as a working class North Easterner I would have probably been sold as a sweep or put in the work house.  

That is a type of slavery.

I also posed the question who had actually sold his people to the slavers?  Yes, that's right, other members of your race.

1 hour ago, Big J said:

UK predicted to have the largest economic contraction of any developed nation.

Top UK scientist says that if lockdown had been implemented 1 week earlier, the death toll would have been halved.

Boris Johnson's governement has the lowest approval rating of any western government for it's handling of covid 19.

UKs death toll, when judged by excess deaths rather than those attributed to covid 19, is the highest in the developed world

UKs official death toll is second only to the US, though Brazil will take that dubious honour from us in short time.

The issues are complex and multifaceted. Our lockdown came late, after an abrupt government U-turn. It was far too strict in some areas, far too lax in others. It's been relaxed inconsistently, and illogically. It's been ignored by top government officials. We're still largely unable to send our kids to school, but it's OK for them to go to the zoo. We've failed to properly shield our elderly and vulnerable, but imposed brutal economic sanctions on millions of working age people for whom covid-19 represents a minimal risk.

The words 'piss-up in a brewery' and 'couldn't organise one' spring to mind. 

Also, what the hell is wrong with people in the UK when it comes to trashing beauty spots post lockdown relaxation? It's f*cking disgusting. This following is pulled from the Scottish Wild Swimming page I'm a member of:

So I have spent the last 2 days clearing litter from an undisclosed beautiful wild swimming spot in Northumberland. I got there 7am yesterday morning for a swim and the entire place was covered in glass, plastic, balloons, discarded raw food and human waste.

I had my swim and spent the morning, along with a few others, clearing 25 bin bags of rubbish. Whilst we were there 100s more people were heading down with bags of food and drink to party all over again. So we headed back last night and cleared another 20 bin bags full of rubbish and what must have been over 500 cigarette butts, 200 laughing gas canisters and countless empty bags of drugs.

Image may contain: one or more people, outdoor, nature and water

Image may contain: tree, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: outdoor, nature and water

Image may contain: 1 person, car, shoes and outdoor

People can certainly be grim.  Good on you and your mates for clearing up - that must also have been grim given what they left.

30 minutes ago, Puffingbilly413 said:

People can certainly be grim.  Good on you and your mates for clearing up - that must also have been grim given what they left.

I can't claim credit for that clearup - it was another member of the group. I have done many clearups before, but not on that scale.