Lockdown - has it totally failed?

Squaredy

2 hours ago, Squaredy said:

So lockdown continues to be lifted.....in England.  I still can't even take my family for a trip to a local forest.  Not even the forest where I work every day. 

Apparently Prince Drakeford will be announcing something today....let's hope it is a little more freedom as I think many people round here are just ignoring the lockdown anyway.

The devolved parliaments have done nothing more than massively increase the costs to joe average tax payer and give us more politicians that need paying, whom claim expenses and end up with an enviable pension. They have managed to have multiple different sets of rules and guidance and even  different slogans. A lot of this is nothing more than an ego trip driven by party political allegiances. Although they are all happy for Westminster to pick up the tab for all this. 
UK policy should have been across the board but with options to implement different controls as and when required. The different devolved policies that run down the middle of communities or even streets in some cases are a total farce. End of day the reality of the situation is that most of what the bloody fool politicians announced yesterday is already happening outside of the ego bubble they exist in. Sturgeons comment ref how she felt like crying when she saw pics of people on the beach near Edinburgh was more like the reaction  of a spoilt brat in a playground trying to control a particular game should be played. 

Edited by Johnsond
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

The devolved parliaments have done nothing more than massively increase the costs to joe average tax payer and give us more politicians that need paying, whom claim expenses and end up with an enviable pension. They have managed to have multiple different sets of rules and guidance and even  different slogans. A lot of this is nothing more than an ego trip driven by party political allegiances. Although they are all happy for Westminster to pick up the tab for all this. 
UK policy should have been across the board but with options to implement different controls as and when required. The different devolved policies that run down the middle of communities or even streets in some cases are a total farce. End of day the reality of the situation is that most of what the bloody fool politicians announced yesterday is already happening outside of the ego bubble they exist in. Sturgeons comment ref how she felt like crying when she saw pics of people on the beach near Edinburgh was more like the reaction  of a spoilt brat in a playground trying to control a particular game should be played. 

The Government are now just adjusting the lockdown rules to parallel what the public are already doing so they look like they are still dictating the rules and are in charge of the situation, they are not.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Squaredy said:

So lockdown continues to be lifted.....in England.  I still can't even take my family for a trip to a local forest.  Not even the forest where I work every day. 

Apparently Prince Drakeford will be announcing something today....let's hope it is a little more freedom as I think many people round here are just ignoring the lockdown anyway.

Can't you just go and if caught say you weren't sure if your children are allergic to trees so thought it best to take the family to a forest and find out?

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Mesterh said:

Can't you just go and if caught say you weren't sure if your children are allergic to trees so thought it best to take the family to a forest and find out?

You can do what you want, guidelines aren't worth the paper they are written on.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

You can do what you want, guidelines aren't worth the paper they are written on.

Indeed Mr Eggs.  And since I posted this morning the Welsh top guy has said in Wales we can visit other people but not travel over 5 miles.  So what about someone in Chepstow who wants to visit a mate just over the border (a mile or so) should he follow the Welsh rules or the English ones......?

What a farce.

8 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

Indeed Mr Eggs.  And since I posted this morning the Welsh top guy has said in Wales we can visit other people but not travel over 5 miles.  So what about someone in Chepstow who wants to visit a mate just over the border (a mile or so) should he follow the Welsh rules or the English ones......?

What a farce.

It is a farce, like huck said earlier 'they' haven't got a clue, we trust these people to run our country.... good racecourse at Chepstow mind.

Edited by eggsarascal

31 minutes ago, difflock said:

So as a Welsh citizen, who lives 2 miles from the border with England, pop over the border, drive 260 miles and then 2  miles into Wales, before returning by the same route.

And then say;

Hey I only drove 4 miles!

Think of the poor police men and women who have to enforce this nonsense!

Just thought of something, are English citizens only allowed to drive 5 miles in Wales?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Sutton said:

Don't kid yourself. A spad is not a puppeteer. Little Dom might influence policy but he's replaceable like everyone else. It'll blow over. Politics is a road show and things move on.

I wish I shared your optimism.
When was the last time a 'SPAD' had the ears of the nation upon them from Downing Street's back yard?