Lockdown - has it totally failed?

Squaredy

In the news this evening that preliminary antibody tests suggest that 5% of the population outside of London have had covid 19 and 17% of Londoners have had it. So that's 1.53m Londoners and 2.95m of the rest of us. So 4.5m infected with lets say an upper end estimate of 50k deaths (many of which could reasonably be said were patients that died with coronavirus rather than because of it). So that's a 1.1% death rate, which fits with the previous data.

On that basis, I don't think it's severity warrants the level of lockdown we've experienced. The vast majority of those that have died have been either very elderly or with comorbities. We should shield them and the rest of us should get on with life as normal, with reasonable efforts made to limit direct social contact. 

Sitting in the nurses waiting room the other day, two of the people in there were so overweight and infirm, I was surprised they were still alive. Only in their sixties, I'd say, each of them 3 times their ideal bodyweight and struggling to walk. The best thing anyone can do in the interim period before a vaccine is developed is to try to improve their own health. I know not everyone can do that, but those at higher risk can really improve their own chances of not falling seriously ill by doing all the usual things to get healthier. 

Why anyone is still smoking these days is honestly beyond me. One of the simplest and easiest things to do to improve your health, especially given the nature of covid 19 attacking the lungs.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Big J said:

In the news this evening that preliminary antibody tests suggest that 5% of the population outside of London have had covid 19 and 17% of Londoners have had it. So that's 1.53m Londoners and 2.95m of the rest of us. So 4.5m infected with lets say an upper end estimate of 50k deaths (many of which could reasonably be said were patients that died with coronavirus rather than because of it). So that's a 1.1% death rate, which fits with the previous data.

On that basis, I don't think it's severity warrants the level of lockdown we've experienced. The vast majority of those that have died have been either very elderly or with comorbities. We should shield them and the rest of us should get on with life as normal, with reasonable efforts made to limit direct social contact. 

Sitting in the nurses waiting room the other day, two of the people in there were so overweight and infirm, I was surprised they were still alive. Only in their sixties, I'd say, each of them 3 times their ideal bodyweight and struggling to walk. The best thing anyone can do in the interim period before a vaccine is developed is to try to improve their own health. I know not everyone can do that, but those at higher risk can really improve their own chances of not falling seriously ill by doing all the usual things to get healthier. 

Why anyone is still smoking these days is honestly beyond me. One of the simplest and easiest things to do to improve your health, especially given the nature of covid 19 attacking the lungs.

The only thing against that is the smoking thing which they now seem to think makes catching Covid harder. Maybe thats one reason why the Chinese death toll isn’t so high as millions of the Chinese smoke especially the men

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Big J said:

An interesting number of reports on how smoking is helping prevent -19.

https://www.euronews.com/2020/05/07/covid-19-and-smoking-what-does-the-who-say

This must be one of the worst times to knock people who choose to smoke. :D 

Edited by trigger_andy
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Timbermcpherson said:

We are on our 4th day in a row without any new covid cases. pubs and bars open tomorrow. my kids have been at school this week.

If your politicians had the balls to do what was obviously needed you guys would all be much better off, there is no excuse for there incompetence,  Im sorry how things are going there, you guys deserve better 

Cindy kept 5 flights a day from China landing in NZ up to two weeks before the lock down.

Medical experts basically told her they needed to lock down because she had left the gate open this long and there was no other choice.

She failed to quarantine an Island in the middle of an Ocean and you strangely think she has guts?

How much free Money has it taken for you to vote Labour? 

• Like 2

New Zealand’s Kung Flu story at first looks successful then you consider they are also not only physically removed but much less economically integrated (so fewer seedings of WuFlu) because they have a small economy compared to the UK, USA etc 

There were 20 million people flying into the UK in the 3 months preceding the lockdown. 

Britain unfortunately is one of the most inter connected countries on the planet along with the USA and a few others. This is why the UK and USA have been hit so hard by the Chinese Virus. 

• Like 4

I don't know how my fellow welsh citizens are accepting the duplicity of the lockdown now.  Golfers driving from all over to my village to play golf, yet my wife and kids are stuck in and no longer able to walk on the golf course, and not allowed to drive to other local places to walk or cycle.  It sucks. 

Sort the rules out Welsh so called Government: either allow us all to drive to exercise etc (like England) or enforce it here and stop the golfers.

Maybe we should get our golf clubs and head down to the beech for a spot of beech golf.  (at 7 and 10 they are too young to play a proper round of golf).

10 hours ago, Squaredy said:

Golfers driving from all over to my village to play golf, yet my wife and kids are stuck in and no longer able to walk on the golf course, and not allowed to drive to other local places to walk or cycle. 

You're annoyed at Golfers using the Village Golf Course they pay for because you cant take a stroll on the same Golf Course you may or may not be paying for? 

Surely they are well isolated from you and everyone else that does not play golf? 

enforce it here and stop the golfers.

So you can have free access to take a walk on the course? :D

Maybe we should get our golf clubs and head down to the beech for a spot of beech golf.  (at 7 and 10 they are too young to play a proper round of golf).

Yes, you should. And let the Golfers Golf in peace. 

Edited by trigger_andy
  • Like 1