Lockdown - has it totally failed?

Squaredy

6 minutes ago, Richard 1234 said:

My wife has been having symptoms of Covid so I booked a test for her. Tonight we went and when we got there and they decided I needed a test too even though I’ve not got symptoms. Maybe I’m cynical but seems to be testing for the sake of adding another number to the list.....

FFS you just can’t win with some people can you?

Do you not think it makes sense to test you as well in the circumstances?

Unless you’ve not been within 2m of her, in which case I congratulate you on the size of your penis.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Wor daughter told the mother that people need to be fit to survive being put on a ventilator, I imagine the panic about needing ventilators simply because(some of) the infected could not breath will prove to have been a must-be-seen-to-do-something reaction, rather than a truely measured clinical decision.

By that I mean they imagined it could do no harm, but actually there are now some doubts as to whether the ventilator may have made things worse, for some at least? 

Which is why so many died, anyway, after the ventilator merely prolonged their agony.

Btw, speaking with a cousin who was relating about a local bloke in his 40's, and fit, hard working and thin, he spent a couple of weeks couch bound with Covis19,

anyway he said the recovery was brutally tough, with even taking a shower feeling like a hard days work. 

So many unknowns, variables, confusion and hysteria.

Edited by difflock
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

FFS you just can’t win with some people can you?

Do you not think it makes sense to test you as well in the circumstances?

Unless you’ve not been within 2m of her, in which case I congratulate you on the size of your penis.

It just seemed a bit strange as I wouldn’t have been able to book a test since I have no symptoms. I’m not one who thinks the government has done a particularly bad job so far.

• Like 2

We are on our 4th day in a row without any new covid cases. pubs and bars open tomorrow. my kids have been at school this week.

If your politicians had the balls to do what was obviously needed you guys would all be much better off, there is no excuse for there incompetence,  Im sorry how things are going there, you guys deserve better 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, tree-fancier123 said:

Hysteria or not, the world sort of got away with it this time - when the 1918-1919 H1N1 influenza killed 50 million the world population was only a quarter of that today. Medicine has improved, but with four times the number of people around now, there is the potential for a much bigger viral whack to keep the keyboards busy

Have you done much research on this? I have done a bit... [around 2-3 hours]. 1) They don't know the numbers of how many were killed with any accuracy 2) the first wave was not that fatal [1-2% mortality] the second was like a different illness altogether and killed very fast with a mortality of around 20%.

So I thought about that - the second wave gave a much higher mortality rate with very different symptoms. Hmmmm - maybe the second wave was a completely different illness to the first! Also this was at a time where troops were packed on ships and sent to all sorts of places around the world which was the main source of spread.

If we get something like this second wave - we are pretty screwed. But since 1918 we haven't much worried about it... it's always been a threat yet we have have managed to live with this threat since 1918. COVID is nothing like what this illness named Spanish Flu [but the illness that killed millions was nothing like the flu so not a great name for it].

12 hours ago, Mark J said:

How can they know how many people have had it if there is no testing in place?
How do they guage this 'R' number?

Very hard to get facts but from what I gather testing is not accurate. So if testing is not accurate then does it matter if there is testing in place or not?

The original doctor who was ill and died with it - even though displaying symtoms for days [again who knows about the authenticity of anything read online:

After several negative tests, on 30 January he was finally confirmed as one of thousands of coronavirus patients, he said on a social media post, along with an emoji of a dog with its eyes rolled back and tongue hanging out, the BBC reported. “Today nucleic acid testing came back with a positive result, the dust has settled. Finally diagnosed.”

• Like 1