Lockdown - has it totally failed?

Squaredy

11 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

Yes but he doesn't believe he is vulnerable even if he is of an age, but then neither did Boris.

I actually do not disagree with him about risk taking and I think the treatments have evolved that people hospitalised with it now are likely to stand more chance than at the beginning. Trouble is I think there is worse to come as the disease has hardly started on the population yet.

There could well be worse to come - but it makes more sense to me to focus on encouraging people to get healthier - more exercise, less stress, better food, better family life, better community. How much £ is spent in this direction? Since lockdown how much more are you drinking? I'm up around 30-40% on my pre lockdown intake...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rob D said:

Since lockdown how much more are you drinking?

I haven't drunk alcohol for nearly three years now, it has saved me over 20 quid a week and I lost a kilo.

I did get a bottle of white wine for lending a neighbour an SDS drill last week and cooked some chicken in it, I made the mistake of drinking two glasses, couldn't get to sleep.

lockdown hasn't affected me too much, I got stopped from volunteering work which was a couple of days a month and only got to do a couple of tractor repairs as felling/winching work was put on hold but the boss has worked with his son and others through.

14 minutes ago, MattyF said:

Absolute total selfish bollox.. people going out in to isolated communities because they think they have the right to do what they want have really shown what total (nuts people can be.
I had a fella telling me this week it has brought out the best in people .. in some ways yes but all I have seen is people using it as an excuse to push there own agendas, political or opinions , showing how they don’t give a damn by taking as much as they can for them selves ,going and doing things they should not and ignoring any advice or guidelines as they think they are superior .. sad thing is this virus is something that will never go away and probably has changed human society for ever and this is only just the start.

I read the above twice and think I have what you are saying but excuse me if I have misinterpreted it. I don't think ignoring guidelines is about being selfish or being superior - I can say now here in writing I have not abided by the guidelines myself and will continue not to do so. Not to the letter anyway. I will respect others by maintaining social distancing if they wish and I will self isolate if I am ill as well as good hand washing practices. But I've been out for hours at a time during the whole lock down with my family and usually twice a day. We are fortunate enough not to live in a city - maybe my attitude would be different if we did live in a town or a city but the plain fact is - we don't.

This could change human society for ever - but only if we allow it to.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I really think we need to get off lock down like tommorow if not sooner,

how many people loosing jobs, homes etc

definetly a lot to be said for personal choice, if you dont want to get on a crowded train.....dont

we need to work on social distance, because this is here to stay for sure so lets learn to live with it and not go bankrupt on the way.

had a beer so this isnt my best reply for sure.....

done some volunteer work during this, definetly been exposed to covid in process all be it through recommended ppe and so far touch wood ok!  equally with no ppe and didnt know at time stood and chatted with somebody confirmed a week later with covid and all ok - nice 3 metres between us outdoors and didnt touch anything in area.    now move to my work where some folks didnt social distance and moved among 4 households freely where one had a cold - week later all of them suffering with it....   i didnt get it!   now imagine the cold was covid and results not so great but wee bit social distance on my part and all safe.

obviously not failsafe but just as examples of why we need to open up country, be much smarter and learn to deal with it.

• Like 2

I am really surprised by the levels of fear and imo hysteria regarding the current situation. A tiny % of the population have been affected, an even smaller % have died. 80% of those who have died were over 70, the majority of them already having health issues.

People putting up signs in villages, saying they are closed and to go home! What right have they? Do they really think someone walking through a field, opening gates, etc, is going to spread it? If it where real that contagious, how would those in towns, cities, tower blocks, etc, etc, possibly remain uninflected? How have people been on flights for hours with an infected person and not caught it? And if it were so infective, how selfish to force everyone to stick to busy parks, towpaths etc and guarantee infection.

People seem to buy into the media hype, where has common sense gone.

Come on people, look at the facts.

The situation is bad, we need to take measures to be sure the NHS can offer care to all those who need it, but beyond that should be a matter of personal choice. Do we really want a nanny state telling us what to do? 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, skyhuck said:

I am really surprised by the levels of fear and imo hysteria regarding the current situation. A tiny % of the population have been affected, an even smaller % have died. 80% of those who have died were over 70, the majority of them already having health issues.

People putting up signs in villages, saying they are closed and to go home! What right have they? Do they really think someone walking through a field, opening gates, etc, is going to spread it? If it where real that contagious, how would those in towns, cities, tower blocks, etc, etc, possibly remain uninflected? How have people been on flights for hours with an infected person and not caught it? And if it were so infective, how selfish to force everyone to stick to busy parks, towpaths etc and guarantee infection.

People seem to buy into the media hype, where has common sense gone.

Come on people, look at the facts.

The situation is bad, we need to take measures to be sure the NHS can offer care to all those who need it, but beyond that should be a matter of personal choice. Do we really want a nanny state telling us what to do? 

Its surprising how many on this forum have bought into the hysteria. 

• Like 1

Hysteria or not, the world sort of got away with it this time - when the 1918-1919 H1N1 influenza killed 50 million the world population was only a quarter of that today. Medicine has improved, but with four times the number of people around now, there is the potential for a much bigger viral whack to keep the keyboards busy

Just now, tree-fancier123 said:

Hysteria or not, the world sort of got away with it this time - when the 1918-1919 H1N1 influenza killed 50 million the world population was only a quarter of that today. Medicine has improved, but with four times the number of people around now, there is the potential for a much bigger viral whack to keep the keyboards busy

Or a bigger opportunity to get the worlds populations back to sustainable levels where we  are not systematically destroying the Earth.