Lockdown - has it totally failed?

Squaredy

Lockdown in Wales seems to have been de facto abandoned.  The golf club just by me is open again from this morning.  The lockdown rules in Wales state you should not drive for exercise, yet all the golfers are driving to golf.  The Welsh goverment could easily have stopped this - just announce that you are not allowed to drive to a golf club and that it will be enforced.  After all unlike beauty spots there are only so many golf clubs.

Unless I have missed something there has been no attempt to stop it, so by default they have approved re-opening golf clubs.

I am not whingeing, just personally I am not going to be a total mug.  If it is OK for golfers to drive here and play 18 holes of golf whilst social distancing, then I will also take my family to different places like coast path, forests etc and have a walk and also social distance.

• Like 5

People round here having other peoples kids round fr party / sleepovers, think its kicked intouch here. Getting off bus this morning had to shout at 2 arseholes stood right by doors tryin to get on as i got off. K

Good. To hell with lockdowns wherever they be. Same here in rural Ireland. Many, if not most, people just don't give a damn anymore. Some examples.

Standing in queue outside hardware store today, an auld feller starts mouthing off about how the government are "arseholes" and the whole thing a farce. General agreement from the queue.

A different auld feller gets in the face of the door man with the auld feller joshing and joking, and - get this - puts his hand on the chap's shoulder, you know the way you do when you're joshing around. The doorman recoils in mock horror. General hilarity of "We're all doomed now", "Been nice knowing you" Etc. Etc.....

In the "strictly enforced" shop interior, I wait patiently for yet another auldish guy to complete his nut and bolt collection from the rack. He sees me and says "Am I holding you up?" I reply, "Depends how fussy you are" he replies "I'm not fussy at all" ... With this mutual understanding, we crowd together at the fixing rack, both picking out of the same trays. And you know what? We enjoyed it.

Local country shops: sign on the door "1 customer allowed in at any time" - reality: jammers with the bewellied elderly, youths, dogs, loiterers, all cheek by jowl.

Not allowed to drive around? Could have fooled me. Saw 1 single squad car these last 8 weeks. Worst comes to worst you get sent home, big deal.

At a shop counter, the sign reads: Due to Covid19 we can no longer accept cash - payment by card only. So I ask "Oh, you don't take cash no more then?" .... shop owner replies, surprised, "Of course we take cash - no problem!"

No, outside of the cities and bigger towns life has continued apace, albeit discreetly. It's like play acting, people repeat the politically correct phrases, and then go ahead and get on with violating the rules. Like putting on your latex gloves, sanitising them with the dispenser, then patting them dry on your filthy shirt, before coughing into your fist, then wiping your nose and shoving your hand in your pocket for change. But it's ok, you wore gloves, virtue signal achieved.

And I for one, love it, and I don't care anymore. Human nature wins again.

Edited by Haironyourchest
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Haironyourchest said:

Good. To hell with lockdowns wherever they be. Same here in rural Ireland. Many, if not most, people just don't give a damn anymore. Some examples.

Standing in queue outside hardware store today, an auld feller starts mouthing off about how the government are "arseholes" and the whole thing a farce. General agreement from the queue.

A different auld feller gets in the face of the door man with the auld feller joshing and joking, and - get this - puts his hand on the chap's shoulder, you know the way you do when you're joshing around. The doorman recoils in mock horror. General hilarity of "We're all doomed now", "Been nice knowing you" Etc. Etc.....

In the "strictly enforced" shop interior, I wait patiently for yet another auldish guy to complete his nut and bolt collection from the rack. He sees me and says "Am I holding you up?" I reply, "Depends how fussy you are" he replies "I'm not fussy at all" ... With this mutual understanding, we crowd together at the fixing rack, both picking out of the same trays. And you know what? We enjoyed it.

Local country shops: sign on the door "1 customer allowed in at any time" - reality: jammers with the bewellied elderly, youths, dogs, loiterers, all cheek by jowl.

Not allowed to drive around? Could have fooled me. Saw 1 single squad car these last 8 weeks. Worst comes to worst you get sent home, big deal.

At a shop counter, the sign reads: Due to Covid19 we can no longer accept cash - payment by card only. So I ask "Oh, you don't take cash no more then?" .... shop owner replies, surprised, "Of course we take cash - no problem!"

No, outside of the cities and bigger towns life has continued apace, albeit discreetly. It's like play acting, people repeat the politically correct phrases, and then go ahead and get on with violating the rules. Like putting on your latex gloves, sanitising them with the dispenser, then patting them dry on your filthy shirt, before coughing into your fist, then wiping your nose and shoving your hand in your pocket for change. But it's ok, you wore gloves, virtue signal achieved.

And I for one, love it, and I don't care anymore. Human nature wins again.

I am not suggesting we should not try to take care and social distance, but there need to be clear rules which people can believe in. 

To suggest it is fine for golfers to play 18 holes a day whilst a fisherman, walker, metal detectorist, beechcomber, bird watcher, forest forager etc all have to stay at home is ridiculous.

• Like 1

Lockdown has never made sense to me - and it makes even less sense now to lift it. The tests from what I gather can give both false negatives and false positives. There seems questions marks over how the death rate is calculated. From people I know who have had to go into hospital there was hardly anyone  there. So the lock down is now lifted and it will be ok for us all to spread it freely and easily? Or maybe it was never that serious in the first place. Nursery for my daughter is closing for good with a lot of the staff there having been there 12 years or more...

I think even if going by the guidelines set out for our 'safety' we should question what we are being told - I certainly do and then some.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rob D said:

Lockdown has never made sense to me - and it makes even less sense now to lift it. The tests from what I gather can give both false negatives and false positives. There seems questions marks over how the death rate is calculated. From people I know who have had to go into hospital there was hardly anyone  there. So the lock down is now lifted and it will be ok for us all to spread it freely and easily? Or maybe it was never that serious in the first place. Nursery for my daughter is closing for good with a lot of the staff there having been there 12 years or more...

I think even if going by the guidelines set out for our 'safety' we should question what we are being told - I certainly do and then some.

The phrase protect our NHS is still being bandied about up here in Scotland to justify yet more control and an extension of a totally bogus and ineffective lockdown. Current intensive care utilisation north of the border is lower than anywhere else in UK, depending on what source approx 20% of total capacity ?‍♂️?‍♂️

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

The phrase protect our NHS is still being bandied about up here in Scotland to justify yet more control and an extension of a totally bogus and ineffective lockdown. Current intensive care utilisation north of the border is lower than anywhere else in UK, depending on what source approx 20% of total capacity ?‍♂️?‍♂️

Also instead of little signs and hand clapping - how about giving the NHS something more meaningful like a pay rise, less admin and better working conditions? Regardless of COVID or not...

This whole thing looks to be all about control - get the population used to the idea that they can be locked down. We'll have to see if this becomes a more regular thing. Also what about all the stopped operations/depression/mental illness/domestic abuse/loss of income/loss of businesses? There are very nice smart figures on COVID all neat and tidy on the worldometer - it will be harder to measure the downside of this lock down so neatly.

Part of me thinks I should be out there protesting about it but mostly I wouldn't cause I'm as equally cowed as everyone else is. Odd how the protesters seem to be ridiculed on here - they are braver than I am.

• Like 8

It's real as buried many that havent made it but also suspicious about many motives from .gov there talking garbage a lot of the time PPE isn't there know too many in the medic trade for the nurses etc to be lying.

Think the Motto "save the NHS" is yes save it from being too expensive for us being .gov

There quietly trying to put on the menu with trumps trade deals along with Chemical foods!

They don't want you to be Sensible/have Common sense that's not part of there game plan they want all to be in fear so scurry when they bang the drum.

Read some of the crap like you can't sit out in the open with just family members well away from others getting fresh air and sunlight but it's ok to walk around the streets breathing in others germs.

You can't drive to somewhere out quiet away from town so have a good walk etc on your own.Get but emergency services if have an accident blah blah blah.But it's ok to go there on your bicycle!

So stay at home! Emergency services have been very bizzy shed loads of fires big increase with so many at home with electrics cooked plus other things catching fire! A&E been bizzy with DIY disasters galore Eye surgeons said never had so many bad ones also.

But have in my suspicious mind things that are going to happen or they will try to. Already bumped congestion charge up in london and fares gone up on tubes along with blocking all the roads so can cycle into everyone! yet bicycles have little revenue return.

• Like 1