Help needed! 064 adding a 36 inch bar

I’m new to this game. A couple of years now and I find myself needing a larger bar for some big beech, oak and lime trees. I have a Sthil 064AV and have purchased what I thought would just be a straight replacement for this saw. It wouldn’t be used a lot as I have other mid sized saws that do most of the work I do. My question is why won’t the following item fit straight on to my 064? 

Stihl .404 .063 Rollomatic ES chainsaw bar (36 inch bar)

Stihl Chain 36" 90cm .404" 1.6mm Rapid Super RS

when on on there’s a lot of slack in the chain and no more movement in the adjuster. 

any help would be superb 

Steve 

Edited by The Shooting Fish

'off the shelf' Stihl bars in .404 are all 3001 'large mount' and won't fit your saw. They are for bigger saws 070 076 084 880 etc 
You require a medium mount (3005) fits 024 241 right up to 064  066 661 in 3/8 0.063

This is all wrong.

The 064 takes a 3003 mount.
The 3005 is domestic small saws.
You've probably got a 3002 mount on that bar. So it's the wrong one.
3002 is for 880.
The first four numbers on the 11 digit serial code

36" is too big for an 064 to deal with comfortably; my biggest bar is 30".  Coming from both sides I could cut a 52-54" stem!

Hmmmmm
It'll run a 36" bar full compliment full chisel all day. Even milling.
Solid Saw.
But the av is crap.

I'm not sure why you went for the 404 bar when you could have stuck with a 3/8.

i know bigger heavy chain has some advantages (stays sharp longer & less stretch) but it has some disadvantages as well..

I guess you know this already,, biggest bar on saw and add the thickness had heaviest chain.. now if you were wanting a trade off ie 28” bar and 404, that seems cool. As the saw could handle it better..

now you have a chain and bar,,, and the corrected sprocket on the way. And also may need a bar spacer as well . I’d test it a bit and suck it and see..

you could, and I say could but check first. If it still don’t pull like a train ?. make the 404 into a skip chain, it’s a bit of a waste. But it could work..

the only other way is sell that bar and chain, and take a different route..

ymmv as well as others..

cheers..

Edited by Wonky
Just adding to be clearer