Two Stroke Flymo - JLO Engine

aesmith

6 hours ago, aesmith said:

I actually thought removing the carb from the JLO was a pain, I dread to think what the MV is like.  To separate the carb I had to .. remove blade and fan, unscrew engine mount from the deck and remove engine and mount from mower, unbolt engine mount from bottom of engine, remove fuel tank and top cowling to disconnect the governor vane.  I did wonder about cutting the engine mount so the carb can be removed with the engine still installed, but haven't gone that far.

As far as I can see the carb isn't adjustable except possibly by installing different jets.  There's a single screw which I believe is supposed to be idle mixture, but that doesn't do anything as the engine never idles.  There's no throttle control, it always runs at full governed speed.

What you describe is more or less the situation with the MV 100 . The carb is at at the back under the tank and the long tube exhaust covers one side so getting to the nut is not on , plus there isn't a way to use a socket due to lumps sticking out from the carb body. Must admit looking at a view of the jlo i thought you would have less of a bother with the carb on the side of the motor . The version of the MV i worked on had the usual quadrant control ..choke , flat out and back to idle then all the way back to stop. Having said all the negative...running right these 2 strokes are grate to use IMO.

50 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

I've still got two and chose them as they don't seize on steep banks, mind I don't think I have used them for 30 years other than to see if they still work. I cannot remember if they are aspera or tecumseh engines.

Stick them on a pallet and send them this way ?, il give them a good home !

• Haha 1

• 2 years later...

Interesting that they are  good for banks, as I always assumed   they would need very lvl perfect lawns too avoid scalping as the cut height looks very low & isn't adjustable? Banks are often bumpy & rough due to rabbits always digging etc, but maybe there are some nice smooth contoured ones about.

I see that other companies are  still making there version of them.

Edited by Stere

1 hour ago, Stere said:

they would need very lvl perfect lawns too avoid scalping as the cut height looks very low & isn't adjustable?

Adjustment is by adding plastic spacer washers above the blade. You can dangle them from a rope and swing them for wide steep banks, they also run on chainsaw fuel. Mind I haven't used my two for over 30 years. My granddaughter borrowed one a couple of years back and complained it didn't cope with long grass as well as the little 3.5 hp sovereign with the b&S engine

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/06/2022 at 20:32, Sydney said:

Anyone know how to set up the ignition on a JLO

Funny you should ask, I was about to post.

Ignition has stopped working on ours, no spark at all.  I haven't yet rigged up a puller to get the flywheel off.  So making the assumption that the "stop" wire connects to one end of the primary windings I these are the only tests I have done so far ..

(1) Continuity - primary is a few Ohms, secondary a few 1000 Ohms.  Those sound in the ball park but that is only my wildest guess

(2) High impedance between the "stop" wire and the engine block (that's the wire that short to the engine to cut ignition off)

(3) "some" voltage variation on the primary, if I connect a volt meter (digital) between stop wire and the engine I get some flickers on display when turning the engine over.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  At the moment I don't really know how it's supposed to work, not have any idea where I might find replacement parts if any are needed.

Thanks, Tony S

Edited by aesmith