Will this tree survive.

Richardrabbit

47 minutes ago, Gnarlyoak said:

To be honest I'd be slagging the client off under my breathe for having the fence and structure rebuilt before thinking about whether or not to have a severely fire damaged tree removed first; during or after the rebuild!

In the first instance it might have been fellable in a oner or a just a few big hits. Now its got to be climbed and probably rigged off, and the whole time the climber and ground crew having to work in and breathe in the charcoal & its dust. Ending up filthy black and breathing in a potential carcinogenic material for longer than would have been necessary at the get go, would pee me off a lot more than a blunt chain!

I agree but don't think  it's likely that char dust is carcinogenic, not a thing you's want to breath in though for a number of other reasons.

5 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

I agree but don't think  it's likely that char dust is carcinogenic, not a thing you's want to breath in though for a number of other reasons.

Aye, yer probably right. An over dramatic & uneducated assumption to make the point that to consider removal of this tree after you've started replacing the other structures is a bit of a cart before horse exercise. I can see that the OP perhaps thought that the tree might survive and they were prepared to consider salvaging it, but from the pictures it appears that the "can this tree be saved" question would definitely have been better asked before replacing the fence and starting to rebuild the shed. Because the answer would have been a clear no, and a much better outcome for all. The tree Co. lose the tree before anything else gets put in the way, then the fence and shed get built without having to fanny about around a dead/dying burnt out tree.

Never ceases to amaze me how these things end up as after thoughts that make everyone else job a PITA. Like (in the past 3 months) the ash I had to take out a week after the new summer house was built directly underneath it, or the big oak reduction that had to be done, the day after the client got the builders in to start constructing the new extension directly underneath it, having trenched right through the roots, poured the concrete foundations and started to lay the first concrete blocks. Not my jobs; I was just the climber, but each time client had totally failed to mention at the time that "other works" were scheduled just before the tree work was booked to take place making everyone elses job a bigger ball ache than it needed to be.

16 minutes ago, Gnarlyoak said:

Aye, yer probably right. An over dramatic & uneducated assumption to make the point that to consider removal of this tree after you've started replacing the other structures is a bit of a cart before horse exercise. I can see that the OP perhaps thought that the tree might survive and they were prepared to consider salvaging it, but from the pictures it appears that the "can this tree be saved" question would definitely have been better asked before replacing the fence and starting to rebuild the shed. Because the answer would have been a clear no, and a much better outcome for all. The tree Co. lose the tree before anything else gets put in the way, then the fence and shed get built without having to fanny about around a dead/dying burnt out tree.

Never ceases to amaze me how these things end up as after thoughts that make everyone else job a PITA. Like (in the past 3 months) the ash I had to take out a week after the new summer house was built directly underneath it, or the big oak reduction that had to be done, the day after the client got the builders in to start constructing the new extension directly underneath it, having trenched right through the roots, poured the concrete foundations and started to lay the first concrete blocks. Not my jobs; I was just the climber, but each time client had totally failed to mention at the time that "other works" were scheduled just before the tree work was booked to take place making everyone elses job a bigger ball ache than it needed to be.

'Kinell !

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stere said:

Always thought charcoal making is probably unhealthy ocupation espcially sieve out the fines and no face masks worn etc?

I agree and I am sure constant exposure to the dust is going to cause lung problems just as coal does to miners. In fact one of the best studies of industrial lung damage was done  in south african diamond mines which showed the worst sizes of dust particulates for imbeding in the lungs were 1.5 microns. This was mostly silica dust, it was a killer but not from cancer.

• 1 month later...
On 18/05/2020 at 17:46, Gnarlyoak said:

Wow. Gnarly, I took the rafters off and fence panels out quicker than your assumption.

The tree guy dropped it with no drama. There are hazardous substances in all industry, silica dust, asbestos lead paint. Correct PPE all the way. 
Don’t eat burnt toast. It’ll make your teeth black. ?