Impact wrenches - Makita

Dan Maynard

I've gone mad and ordered a Mak DUC256 saw, with one eye on the idea of a new battery drill and also an impact wrench.

I know recently these were discussed and a few people recommended the DTW1002. However I'm thinking of chipper blades, maybe a chainsaw clutch, and worst case Defender wheelnuts so is that just total overkill and going to break stuff left and right?

Should I just go for the DTW285? Looks like a nice piece of kit? I don't mind the money for the right tool but I'm not running diggers or tractors.

Does anyone have a DTW285 and keep finding things it won't undo?

Thanks.

I have a DTW285 and find it very useful for many things - it will happily undo the wheel nuts on my Disco which are at c.150Nm,

Anything larger/tighter that it does not shift (ie stuff which has been set for a good while outside) then I just crack it with a power bar and then use the wrench to spin off the nuts

Edited by waterbuoy

My Milwaukee 1/2 inch is basically the same and will do wheel nuts no problem but isn't quite enough for our Heizohack blades so I do the first) last bit with a bar.

Luckily I have a 1inch drive with twice the power on its way to fix that. ?

better of with the DTW 1002 not much more in price but does lots more plus lots more grunt and has pre set torque limits soon find more jobs for it!

Then drill wise get the combi set drill and impact which has hex head ive a set fits in one case does most things like screws/fixings upto quite reasonable sizing till get to bigger nuts thats when need to step up where the big gun helps

WWW.POWERTOOLWORLD.CO.UK

Makita DTW1001Z 18v LXT Brushless 3/4 Impact Wrench Body Only - Nut busting...

I have the above with the 3/4 inch drive, I have an adaptor for 1/2inch sockets too. Same physical size as the 1002. 
I use mine all the time- from small stuff like rattling off gate fixtures and iron work off telegraph poles, through to work on my digger etc. It has 3 settings on it and don’t find it oversized myself, if it is I can usually just do it with my impact driver with - hex-1/4 inch adaptor and sockets.

the amount of time and grazed knuckles, broken ratchets it saves....

Edited by Matthew Storrs
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Matthew Storrs said:
WWW.POWERTOOLWORLD.CO.UK

Makita DTW1001Z 18v LXT Brushless 3/4 Impact Wrench Body Only - Nut busting...

I have the above with the 3/4 inch drive, I have an adaptor for 1/2inch sockets too. Same physical size as the 1002. 
I use mine all the time- from small stuff like rattling off gate fixtures and iron work off telegraph poles, through to work on my digger etc. It has 3 settings on it and don’t find it oversized myself, if it is I can usually just do it with my impact driver with - hex-1/4 inch adaptor and sockets.

the amount of time and grazed knuckles, broken ratchets it saves....

I have the same and it’s the dog’s danglies. It is apparently identical to the 1002 internally (so same power etc), just has the bigger drive. I’d recommend getting one of these over the less torquey alternatives unless you have a specific job where you are going to be using it constantly on light work (where weight may be a consideration). 

We have a 285 and the bigger bodied 450. Unless its tractor wheel nuts then theres not a lot that stops either to be honest. 450 manages the chipper blade bolts, skid steer wheels and front wheels on the 2wd JD and the 285 is great for anything smaller. 
The air wrench very rarely gets used these days I'll say that.